cool article, interesting quote

Yes, morals are basically the DNA of cultures, morals today exist only because they benefited the survival of the citizens, either directly or indirectly, at some point in the history of the culture. However, the problem with morals is that generally they are long term survival mechanisms, its generally not easy to see their immediate benefit, or prove their worth (abstinence for instance), so religions are born or modified to enforce them (without requiring any proof of their benefit, just the motto if you do it you will go to hell), a clever strategy for cultural survival, I have to admit.

Reply to
steve

In article , John Larkin writes

completely un true. That is the problem. Condoms are affordable the main problem is several aid groups are preaching against them

Which Christians? Mormons?

Monogomy does not solve the problem.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , John Larkin writes

None so blind as those who will not see.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

... snip ...

I vote for Drambuie, Benedictine, and Cherry Heering, in no particular order. I will even accept a little Cointreau.

More details at:
Also see
Reply to
CBFalconer

Well, Lah-Dee-Dah! Y'know the difference between a connoisseur and a wino? The connoisseur takes the bottle out of the paper sack before he drinks the wine. ;-)

For me, gimme a vodka and tap water any time. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I once got put off of Chivas Regal scotch like that - it was some other guy's bottle, and he kept saying, "It's for drinking!"

I've heard that if you puke sloe gin, it looks like blood. Is that just a UL?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I find it a little silly that you could "acquire" an "immune deficiency". How did you "acquire" this virus unless you already had an "immune deficiency"?

It's just another boogeyman to extract the bux from the sheeple.

One of the causes of "immune deficiency" is withholding colostrum. You could look it up.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

He's talking about extreme monogamy - i.e., you only get to have sex with one person, ever, for the rest of your life. Yeah, it'd get rid of the STD problem, but then you'd have to deal with the revolutions and suicide bombers and stuff.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

It's not silly; it's killing millions of people.

The same way you acquire any virus that you're not already immune to. Never had a cold or flu or a wart?

Sadly, almost nobody is immune to HIV, and it attcks the human immune system faster than the immune system attacks it.

You don't believe AIDS is a real disease? A lot of gays believed that here, ACT UP and such; they've either gone on antiviral drugs or died.

John

message

Technically, it's not the HIV that kills you. It's all the other stuff you get after you lose your immunity.

Pray you never get it, or they will be extracting bux from you.

Reply to
Richard Henry

There are about 500 million "extremely poor" people in sub-Saharan Africa, defined as having a daily income below 50 cents. Another 200M are "moderately poor", below $1 per day. The extremely poor generally have no accesss to clean water, transportation, medication, education, or effective shelter, and live on the edge of starvation. Showing up in their villages, handing out condoms, and helicoptering away, the helicopter sortie costing enough to feed the village for years, would be bizarre to say the least. And in Africa and much of asia, there's a positive correlation between income and AIDS; the people who can afford condoms don't use them; they do have more sexual partners.

In the US, black women have about 23x the HIV infection rate of white women. In Canada it's less, about 10:1. It seems to me that the affordability and supply of condoms isn't what's going on here.

If an effective HIV vaccine were invented, I suppose we could do the Smallpox thing, chopper into villages, inject everybody, and leave. Maybe HIV could be eradicated. But there's no vaccine and HIV is a very versatile virus.

John

That's often the case, but even if you have the medication and care to fight off secondaries, AIDS can, and will, be fatal on its own.

John

No. I'm saying that the more sexual partners you have, and the more they have, the higher your chances of getting any one of about 60 different and unpleasant STDs. Lifelong mutual monogamy is very safe; prudent serial monogamy is pretty good. Having sex with people who have HIV is a good way to get HIV.

John

This is not surprising. There was a radio program about this (BBC R4) which said that there is a chemical in Scotch with is similar to one of the chemicals in smell when you vomit. Therefore the mind will often link vomit with scotch if you do get ill with it.

This has put many people off scotch just by the smell. It is simply a chemical reaction and there is nothing you can do about it. There is no cure :-(

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , John Larkin writes

correct it's education. that is the problem. The evangelical groups the US is funding in Africa are teaching the use of condoms is bad and abstinence is good.

They are taking it that condoms are bad and not using them. Preaching abstinence has NEVER worked anywhere.

Illegitimate births tend to be far higher in countries where the RC church has a strong hold and abstinence and monogamy are preached to the detriment of birth control.

that is why condoms should be used.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , John Larkin writes

No it's not, especially in Africa. Many children are born with Hiv

Same risks.

The problem is that many don't know they have it.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

Except Southern Comfort is so far from scotch it is unbelievable.

--
Aaron
Reply to

How would their parents have acquired HIV if they had been lifelong monogamous? IV drug use? Transfusions?

John

Oh, sure, it's real. It's just that the organism isn't the CAUSE - it's merely the MECHANISM.

You have to look a lot deeper for what actually _causes_ illness - of any kind.

Thanks! Rich

For more information, please visit

Another site that might be of interest:

Rich the Philosophizer

I'm doing better than praying - I'm healing my denials. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer