cool article, interesting quote

Exactly. Good government polices itself and corrects mistakes. Bad government denies that mistakes are possible.

John

Well, the number is >10,000 ... depending on how you define civilization maybe as much as 25,000.

The dawn of h*mo sapiens seems like a pretty good metric to me.

--
Aaron
Reply to

Interesting references. However, except for Somalia, where it is well known there is no effective government, I don't see that the data supports your conclusions.

Reply to
Richard Henry

He posts about it and related ideas on comp.arch

Interesting stuff.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

I like David a lot and respect him, but we have only very occasionally talked with each other on the phone. It's been two years now, I think, since we last talked. I'd like to see what he's written. So thanks. I'll go take a look.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I just did. I remember now the marketing term he had been using, software cabling.

He recently mentioned the issue there of varying the granularity and that is something I left to static compilation when I was visiting Apollo at Chelmsford and discussing ideas in 1987-8. I'm curious about that facet and if he has a proposition for doing this at run-time.

Anyway, thanks.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

??? That sentence doesn't make any sense.

If it's not black art, why not tell people how it's done?

Does one have to know the secret handshake as well to be let in on the secret?

I've been curious about the problem ever since I was on the receiving end of the problem in Colorado Springs. The City went to the bother and expense to try to optimize the traffic signals to improve traffic flow and the initial operation was well less than optimal. One thing that caught my attention was the traffic engineers' claim that it was difficult to optimize things due to the Springs' irregular street pattern -- this is a city that's laid out on a perfectly square grid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Everett M. Greene (The Mojave Greene, crotalus scutulatus scutulatus) Ridgecrest, Ca. 93555 Path: snipped-for-privacy@ridgecrest.ca.us

"Big-Endian byte order is known as 'normal', 'intuitive', or 'obvious'. Little-Endian is sometimes called 'perverse', 'annoying', 'dysfunctional', or 'stupid'. These designations do not, of course, imply any bias or preference."

Christopher R. Hertel, "Implementing CIFS" 2004

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Germany, Italy, Austria, Russia. Right.

John

What David has (very nicely) described is the way it looks to informed people anywhere outside the States, not just Europe, I'm afraid. We have a different perspective because we're not in it and part of it.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Looks to me like he's only parroting the disinformation spread by the BBC and such ilk.

I don't think the corruption is any different now than in the past... just faster dissemination through the media and Internet.

...Jim Thompson

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:32:11 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: [snip]

I should have added...

What you should be worried about is when the Democrats come to power in 2008. They're as yellow-striped as a Cheshire cat. They'll pull completely out of the Middle East and leave Europe to Islam ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Watched too many Hollywood movies ?

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

I'm reminded of the battered wife who covers her black eyes with makeup and can't ever admit out loud how badly she is being treated because she has invested so much emotion in being "in love" with the man that is her real problem.

Reply to
Richard Henry

As well as many people *in* the United States ...

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

2007.
Reply to
Richard Henry

Naaah! They'll still need a President. They'll not get by a Bush veto at the mid-terms.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Naaah! They're out on the streets of France, rioting because they might be expected to actually do some work.

Wonder what they're going to do once Islam takes over? Lob missiles at the UK?

I was supposed to have a project for the next two months, but the client had a project canceled and is taking the work back in-house :-(

What does "resistor simulator" mean. Value range? Work thru zero, or unipolar?

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Probably ;-)

...Jim Thompson

BTW: Which Atmel? I do a lot of work with the Colorado Springs bunch.

...Jim Thompson

Here's a scenario for you to worry about: W is impeached, Cheney goes into the hospital with heart disease, leaving the veto power in the hands of the Speaker of the House, right after the Democrats win over Congress.

Reply to
Richard Henry