cool article, interesting quote

message

any

Last summer I tried to visit the site of my first home (veterans' trailer park next to the baseball stadium) but the Burlington minor league team was having a game that night so we couldn't get in without paying for parking.

Reply to
Richard Henry

In article , John Larkin wrote: [....]

Except for those living in a small area of Africa, that is.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

To be fair, Burlingotn is a clean and relatively safe city. It's loaded with kooks though.

Yeah, they're the instructional league ('A'?) farm club affiliated with the Montreal Expos, now Washington Nationals. Last year they were the Burlington Expos but have been renamed the Burlington Lake Monsters.

--
  Kieht
Reply to

What i find embarrassing is that we Americans have to teach not only 20 somethings this, but have to teach 50 and older this.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Exploring my differences wasn't the point I was making. I chose to mirror his attitude. I felt he was at least aloof and dismissive, perhaps even haughty. I don't consider John to be as "level-headed" on politics as perhaps you do.

Perhaps I'll engage on some political topic when it arises in CED at a later time. This is going to both CED and CAE so I'd rather not do that in this thread.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

None of us are real, you know. We're just Usenet personnas.

John

[snip]

Yep. I'm really a female who teaches Kindergarten ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I meant SED. Sheesh.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

My imagination is racing. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Interbreeding of other groups with the descendants of slaves is very low in the US, particularly so for black females. You're far more likely to see such mixed couples in other countries, IME.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"... with a face to turn your stomach" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

No, indeed, we're going to use MDACs like that. There are some nice

16-bit ones around now, so we wouldn't have to do the coarse/fine thing. Maybe a dual, one for the actual resistance signal path, and the other section as a DC offset trim.

It's still an interesting problem, circuit-wise, to get it to be accurate over a huge resistance and excitation range, bipolar/AC accurate, small, and not too expensive.

John

It's pretty common here in California, but much less in the Deep South where I grew up. There are so many races and nationalities here, there's no sharp segregation line.

John

Indeed. I read what you said about excitation-return current elsewhere, and remembered pondering this point. Also the fact that MDACs tend to "like" a particular feed current (or range), and have limited compliance (although this matters slightly less - assuming you're not planning on dissipating watts). ISTR starting to think about an opto-isolated current-mirror, but I'm not sure how far I got. Probably not very. (Isolating the MDACs via the digital side seems more practical...)

Some colleagues of mine did something more basic with mercury-wetted reed relays, IIRC. Worked, but seems a bit less than sexy ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

There's no denying that several European made a real mess of a number of countries, particularly in Africa and south-east Asia. And there's no doubt that pulling out they way they did often left the ex-colonies worse off. But there is also no doubt that European meddling and abuse of other countries declined throughout last century, in particular since WWII, while that of the USA has increased dramatically.

But have they done anything to try to hinder the displacement (or genocide) in the first place? Of course, it's not really fair to expect more from the USA in Sudan - it's not a problem of their making, and it

*is* fair to expect more from the UK.

Europe hides from parts of its past for many reasons. I think a lot is to do with shame, rather than just economics. Also, the European colonization of Africa is very distant to most modern Europeans, both in time and space - what we see now is countries being destroyed by their own leaders and dictators, where donated aid is stolen by government armies which oppress their people.

You must also make a distinction between Europeans (the people) and European governments. The governments might prioritise saving money, but it's seldom the first think on the minds of the people (at least, of those with the time, money and knowledge to think about foreign affairs).

Europeans (both people and governments) did not love Clinton - but most thought him pretty much OK and at least better than his predecessor. We certainly couldn't understand the vindictive pettiness of the Republicans that brought him down.

And no one here hates Bush because of his "principles". I don't think many people here think he actually has principles or morals of any sort, much less acts on them, so I have no idea where you dreamt up that idea. What's your next suggestion - that we envy his intelligence and diplomatic skills?

Reply to
David Brown

OK, enough politics. We are never going to agree (I couldn't even agree on an oyster and bacon sandwich - sounds horrible to me), but it's been interesting hearing some alternative opinions, so thanks for sharing them.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

In article , John Larkin writes

That is not the benevolence it first appears...

Not really true. Europe does not hid from it's past. No one lets us. However we are trying not to make the same mistakes and learn from our past.

!!!! Unlike the USA? Most of the problems the US has in the world stem from short term economic criteria intruding in their foreign policy. In another NG this has been argued out with many many sources and references.

Most Europeans think GW Bush is stupid. Apart from his born again Christianity I don't think any one this side of the pond believes Bush as the wit to have any political principals of any sort.

Some did, some didn't. Some thought he was a good president and some thought he was not a good president. No one thought form either the left or right thought he was stupid (like GWB).

GB Snr I disagreed with on a lot of his policies but he was *and still is* a very astute politician. A friend om mine was very impressed with him when their paths crossed in the Med a few years ago.

In the UK most people can not understand how a half wit got to be president. That is irrespective of weather they are left ot right of centre to thought the Iraq war was a good thing or not.

I have notices that in the US people seem to support their own side with rose tinted glasses and refuse to acknowledge any flaw in their man regardless. It tends to reduce the effectiveness of their argument.

the US seems to have a history of it. GWB the classic idiot, Raygan was not the brightest. Then the was Dan Quayle... Rumour was that if the President was shot the secret service had orders to shoot him so he did not become president. I am sure there were some other but those spring to mind. I can't remember who's side they were on.

Re Clinton: no one understood what the problem was with having Monica. As the French said "...Just the one mistress?" :-) His affair had nothing to do with his politics or his ability as a politician. Lying about was another matter though. That is usually what is the sticking point for resignation.

However that is minor compared to lying about WMD and taking a country to war on a lie.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

message

Well, of course "European meddling" declined after its historic peak, WWII itself. Europe pounded itself into rubble, drove out or exterminated a lot of its talent, provoked the Russian bear to gobble up its eastern third, and then delegated its defense to the US. All that turned out to be good, I guess, for europeans in the long term; they finally have the peace, prosperity, and orderly societies they seem to really want. But the immense misery in other parts of the world, especially Africa, is largely a European legacy, and it seems to me that Europeans find talk to be the cheapest course of action.

Of course, it was Western technology in general that made the mess in Africa. Cheap vitamins, vaccines, and minimal public-health measures caused a population explosion without sufficient support. Roads, trucks, and guns gave vicious governments and factions the tools to kill millions. That mess will be very hard to un-make.

John

I you are ever in San Francisco, I will attempt to enlighten you, about the oysters at least.

John

Whenever I see those "You can feed this child for only 85 cents a day" commercials, I wonder, "What would it cost to teach those people not to breed what they can't feed?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian