An interesting article, video over CAT5

Video over CAT5

Those chips are interesting too, the time compensator is expensive though:

The EL4553 is about 2$50.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's been done for a long time but not with $50 worth of chips. For most apps a THS4021/22 suffices. Much cheaper.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Where's the article for the time machine required to send this article to 1993?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

The bank foreclosed on the time machine :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

You're an idiot. We did not have cat5 in 1993. It was defined in '91. That doesn't mean it came out then. When it did come out, we certainly were not passing video over it or trying to.

Cat5 is currently NOT recognized by the industry (at all, even to the point that it is no longer manufactured).

The article most likely references cat5e. Both top out at 100MHz bandwidth. Only one is likely available.

Cat6 also does 1000BaseT Gigabit Ethernet, like cat5e does, however, cat6 cabling can perform at 250MHz.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Tell them to let you use it _one more time_...

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah, back to that wild party back at the university ... 'nuff said :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

We were.

TIA/EIA-568-A.1-1991

As one could guess, it was put in place in the year 1991 ...

Our house has twisted pair with about the same structure and twists per inch as CAT5 except that it's five pairs. Installed in 1970. Ok, maybe the builder had a time machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

:

Or you can pipe it in through your existing computer. Drag the remote file into VLC. Sit back and enjoy.

Geez Jan, I thought you'd have figured this out by now! :-p

Tim (student file servers are one of the perks of campus life ;-) )

Reply to
Tim Williams

That was common many years ago. My previous house, built in 1969, had a multi-bundle... I don't know how many pairs, throughout the whole house, even bathrooms... this was back in dial-up-only days ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Before I did CAT5 home-runs I used pairs of this old bundle and the performance was stunning. The only mistake they made was a Y-branch, big no-no. So I had to separate the data pairs there. That's where I met my first big fat Californian spider. He raised his front legs against me.

1969 was pre-dial-up unless you count ye olde Bell 103A :-)
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I'm pretty sure I had modems by 1975 (300 baud muff-types ;-), for data links to portable testers in the field... I don't think I even had a PC in 1969. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Read closer, asshole. CAT5 is NOT CURRENTLY RECOGNIZED AT ALL. CAT5e is the current standard and CAT5 was DROPPED COMPLETELY.

The standard was set forth then, as I STATED ALREADY.

The UTILIZATION of the standard was NOT yet on the street... as I stated already.

You were saying?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Which is not a standard any longer. It was supplanted by CAT5e 100%.

I'll bet there are huge untwisted segments at the terminations as well. That also will not fly for GbE. The twists go right up to the connector terminations, and the connectors have shields on them.

As a data network? I don't think so.

I suggest the show "Warehouse 13". You would enjoy the gadgetry.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah, and it really does require deep thought too.

All the "joke" posts (he thinks they are funny), and all the pissy horseshit about the liberals tells me this boy is goin' senile.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

though:

In '75 the acoustic couplers was most likely 110 baud, or if from IBM

134.5 baud.
Reply to
krw

1993? The most common Ethernet rate back then was 10Mb/s. Which works pretty well over coax (I still have a bunch of coax strung in my walls for that). That also works pretty well for video (RF actually).

At work, out in the factory, we actually had some 10Base-5 (Thicknet) to CATV tuners to put various LAN segments onto the closed circuit TV distribution system.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

though:

The phone hashers? Hooo boy, the wrath of Missy Bell must have been close ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Sometimes it doesn't matter whether soem standards body blesses things. Also called de-facto standards.

So? It worked.

But it was so. Used it as Ethernet, same throughput as with the CAT5 now. In use for about half a year because I simply didn't want to crawl underneath there in winter. In this region some critters might use it as a home down there and you don't want to come face to face. The reason why I laid a new network was because I wanted to do proper home runs, plus lay coax.

I don't know Warehouse 13.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Video over telephone wires dates back to 1936/37, when BBC used to carry video from TV cameras in various locations in London to the TV transmitter. The signal was balanced with repeaters every few km and the repeater also contained an equalizer to compensate for the telephone line frequency depended losses. Of course this was the 405 line system with 3 MHz video bandwidth.

BBC was also building a repeater chain in every telephone exchange to carry a video signal from London to Channel cost in order to be beamed over to France, but the job was interrupted in 1939 for obvious reasons.

There was an article about the system in Wireless World perhaps in

1986/87 IIRC, when 50 years had elapsed from the start of regular TV programs in the UK.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen