cool article, interesting quote

Hey thats great. Only the UK uses miles, so those who use Km should be OK

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

In article , Jim Thompson writes

No.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

That was just a bad haircut. It'll grow out.

John

[snip]

Are you of the "crew cut" style ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Nobody's "out of range" of a nuclear war.

And that was just from testing.

Reply to
Richard Henry

In April?

John

I believe in shopping early ;-)

...Jim Thompson

GWB claims his job is to make decisions. He has shown himself to be singularly inept at his job.

--
I hear the voices.    G W Bush, 2006-04-18
Reply to

... snip ...

Pat Robertson, for an example of a moral Christian leader. He wants to shoot all Muslims. Evangelicanism at its finest. Bring on the auto-da-fe.

--
"The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without
 formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to
 whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943
Reply to
CBFalconer

Back in the '50s we could build our sampling simulators out of those small IBM wire contact relays, and achieve sampling rates close to 1 Khz. The relays interconnected various carefully constructed delay lines, using nothing but discrete capacitors and inductors, which simulated a perfect resistor. At the frequencies involved we never saw any anomalies.

 whether Nazi or Communist." -- W. Churchill, Nov 21, 1943
Reply to
CBFalconer

(article synopsis: White House televisions tuned to Fox, reporter asks why, requests change to CNN, White House complies).

No, but is it really surprising? They're only inhuman, and I gather Fox is a little less unfriendly to them.

What is curious is that CNN considers this news. That intrigues me.

The 'body language' I get from this article is: o CNN feels a keen rivalry with Fox. o White House vs: press corps: they have distinct preferences for differing competing news channels by group, o The press corps: competitors, but allying themselves as a group, a unified camp confronting an adversary. o Boastful: "Ha ha! Reporters prefer CNN." o Peevish: "The White House is petty; they won't let us watch our channel" (though in the end, they do).

The above doesn't quite convey my full feeling about it...not sure how to articulate it...it (the situation and story) just seems illustrate a press corps, unified except for Fox, arrayed in opposition to the people they cover. Their coverage certainly reads that way.

Thanks!

Regards, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

In article , Jim Thompson wrote: [....]

...as opposed to lashing out like a frightened animal that the republicans tend to do. If this crowd had been in charge on Dec 8, 1941 the US would have declared war on Finland.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Steve at fivetrees wrote: [....]

No, I don't think there is any drift at all. If you trim the offset voltage on an op-amp, you usually also have set it for the lowest drift.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Trying to remember my history without getting out a book... wasn't Finland already occupied (or soon to be) by the Germans?

Besides, in December, 1941, Democrats were not only gentlemen, but were gentlemen with balls.

I remember Pearl Harbor. Do you? I heard Roosevelt's radio address while the family was gathered at the Godwin (mother's side of the family) farm, for a long Christmas holiday.

...Jim Thompson

In article , Jim Thompson wrote: [...]

I think there was collaboration involved.

The times do sometimes make the men.

..only from what I've read and heard. I was still 13 years in the future when it happened. I have a fairly good memory but it doesn't go back before my birth.

It was one of the great speaches of all time.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

If he's level headed it would have to be a "Flat Top" haircut like I had when I graduated from high school in 1970:

;-)

-- Subject: Re: Try ``this`` Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:04:00 GMT From: "Steven Dinius" Organization: Ispeed Wireless Inc. (srvinet.com) Newsgroups: rec.antiques.radio+phono References: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6

I complained to this church of yours that you haven't been very "Christian" in response to a genuine want to help your case. You should feel ashamed. I feel disgusted.

Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, I just go to Great Clips or Supercuts and they say "how do you want your hair cut?" I always reply "Oh, any way you like it." Confuses the hell out of them. Like when I bought my car, I walked into the dealership and said "I want a Golf." The guy said "What color" and I replied "It doesn't matter." I thought he'd have a heart attack. So I wound up with a bright red car, and my wife thought I was headed for a midlife. I had to convince her that *I* hadn't picked the color.

That's one of my favorite tricks: "Make it their problem." Works great in business, too.

John

If the client wants 'resistor simulator', and does not want 'extras' like non linearities, impulse clamping, ESD damage etc, then relays and resistors might be exactly the right solution.

MELF resistors, + Miniature REED relays, driven by a CPLD could be a good solution ? A uC with a high precision ADC could allow verify-calibrate, down to fractions of a %

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Many years ago I had a couple of similar projects, for use internally as production test equipment, encompassing both RTD and thermocouple simulation.

One was for soak-testing (of a few hundred units at a time). Didn't need to be high accuracy, and we pretty much knew the sense current, so we just provided a programmable voltage. (This was back in '81 - the controller was based around a Nascom II Z80 micro board. Last time I visited the factory the system was *still* in use.)

But the other was closer to what you describe - a high-accuracy calibrator. My memory is a little hazy on this - ISTR the project was discussed, planned out, but never implemented - but I think we were planning on using multiplying DACs, which, after all, *are* programmable resistors (with a bit of extra gubbins). If memory serves, we were going to use two - one for coarse, one for fine - and calibrate out the errors.

Depending on what kind of accuracy/stability you're after, and the voltage compliance you need, this might still work. But I'm guessing you've looked at this and discounted it.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

In article , Ken Smith writes

and very nearly started a war with Russia in Bosnia.