MMC or SD Memory in SPI mode

Does anyone here know if I can use an SD and/or MMC memory in SPI mode (in an embedded application) such that the card can be read through a standard computer SD/MMC reader?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Schabel

Whether the card can be read through a standard computer reader or not has nothing to do with the access mode you're using - it's all about the file format.

But yes, I'm doing that now. I've got a 128 MB SD card hooked up to the SPI port of an AT91SAM7S64, and it can find and read files. Writing and deleting are still in the works, but I got the basic block-write command implemented.

You probably want FAT16 format. There are others that computers will read, but that's pretty much the standard for these flash devices.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Miller

I think Circuit Cellar just ran an article on FAT and SD/MMC. Could have used that myself about a year ago. Not sure if it's online or not, but it presented a nice introduction.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Miller

Great, that's what I thought the answer would be. Are there any standard app notes on doing this? I know that FAT16 is documented in lots of places, but I was just wondering if there was some sample source code or something that you've found.

Thanks again, Scott!

SPI

read,

(in