bluetooth + embedded system

Hi,

I have some general questions on bluetooth and embedded system before I am able to go into a more details questions.

Below is some specifications that I needed for something I have in mind:

  1. I need to build a master bluetooth "router" which connects with some bluetooth devices and the bluetooth router connects to a LAN through cable or wifi.
  2. I need to support bluetooth 2.1 which has "just work" connectivity properties (instead of key-in passwords).

I came across bluez which is a linux solutions for bluetooth protocol stack. Can anyone recommend me a micro-controller with embedded linux that is able to use together with bluez (or any other solution) to achieve the 2 requirement above? Also, basically is bluez able to achieve the 2 item above?

And also is there any available products which has the criteria above that I am able to use?

calvint80

2

I dunno if they also offer BlueTooth, but winsystems.com has some Zigbee boards. Might be something there for you.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

"A microcontroller with embedded Linux" is an odd turn of phrase, you make it sound like you can get a microcontroller with Linux already loaded somehow.

You can't. You can get single-board computers (some quite small) that have already had Linux ported to them, and some of which already have the port loaded. Or you can get microcontrollers that Linux supports, build boards, and port Linux to them yourself. But I don't think you can go out and buy a stand-alone chip that has Linux ported and loaded. If you could the advantages of such a chip would be be vanishingly small, which is probably why you can't.

If you're doing this as a one-off, find some copies of "Circuit Cellar" magazine and look through the ads -- there are some Arm-based SBC in there that come with Linux distros; I know there are PC-104 ones for $150, there may be ones for less. That'll probably be the quickest way to get what you want, assuming they're physically compatible with your desired Bluetooth hardware.

If you're doing this for production you really want to do a structured cost-benefit study, taking a look at a number of different OS and Bluetooth stack possibilities (most commercial RTOS vendors sell Bluetooth stacks, and there are probably some independent vendors as well). Then do your $$ to $$ comparisons and see what looks best.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

mind:

Thanks for the input. Yea, I am aware that I need to load the linux into the micro-controller.

However, I have some queries related to Bluez and also on my requirements; because I have yet to use it before therefore I am asking whether the following can be done (which is also noted in my original post)

  1. Whether bluez can support bluetooth 2.1 specification that have "just work"?
  2. I also need the embedded system to work as a gateway to LAN to transfer the informations, which is why I am asking for specific micro-controller.

I am planning to build a product however it would be great for me to get some advice from fellows which are experience in bluetooth/ bluez and embedded system here.

Thanks.

Best Regards, Calvin

calvint80

Why don't you try a quick prototype (dog and pony) of your product using a desktop platform to see that what you want

*will* work -- before looking for a smaller platform to design on.
Reply to
D Yuniskis

Good point. Then you can worry about whether bluez can be built to work on an ARM processor -- if it will, then your possibilities for a good, cheap microcontroller open up immensely.

If the LAN bridge part isn't already a part of Linux then you'll probably find yourself rolling your own, which may be why such a thing isn't out there yet.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to