Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this Chip ?

I am interested in finding the manufacturer of U3 on this SSD device:

The device in question is on the underside of the PCB above the letters "25SD". It has a strange Logo that I do not recognize.

See :

Regards, Richard.

Reply to
RR

Couldn't start to identify the part with that image. Maybe it looks good on your monitor but I don't care to adjust my monitor settings and get the loop out to try and SEE the logo on that chip in the first place. Might I suggest a better macro lens?

Reply to
John_H

I had trouble making it out as well. Looks fuzzily-familiar to a Cypress logo. If you tell us the part number we can pin it down.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

I don't think the OP actually owns one, that looks like a stock/ catalog photo. And the second photo appears to be a woman's hand, which while not incompossible with the name "Richard" is at least unusual.

Reply to
larwe

Q. Why do you want to know?

Looking at the PCB vs the functionality, I'm having trouble understanding why you'd need half the crap on there just to interface 4 SD cards to IDE... and looking at the asking price it would appear that the marketing division have as little clue as the engineering division...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

According to the manufacturer (Century Corp, Japan), it stripes the data across the multiple cards to speed up access (you must install cards in pairs).

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

My statement stands. You can do all that in a single CPLD...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Mark,

it depends on your definition of CPLD, if you mean CPLD as Complex PLD, not FPGA then, well it may be still doable, but very unreasonable as the price of CPLDs increases very quickly above 64MC. If you say that an FULL ATA compliant high speed multi SD in parallel optimized interface can be done "cost effectivly" in simple CPLD, then this is something that I would say is not so. OR if you are able to implement it, then I should maybe buy an hat. (so that I can take it off, should I meet you).

the PCB as on picture sure is using an overkill of components, but replacing them with and small CPLD is also not possible. However an

3USD FPGA maybe already be able todo the task.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:27:08 +1000) it happened Mark McDougall wrote in :

Agreed, was my idea too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

its of course nice idea :) if the functionality could be easily implemented in small simple PLD, then this CPLD could be sold as competing product to:

or?

I personally would instantly buy this IP (IDE-SD interface that can fit into CPLD), but it is a little more than "simple PLD" to achive this, so I dont expect this to be available.

Antti

PS, hm just recalled, I have made a MMC (MMC mode, not SPI) mode IP core that can configure FPGA from MMC card, this IP core does take 21 Macrocells (coolrunner-2), other technologies 22 MC. So I think I know what function takes what resources in CPLD/FPGA. A high performance standard compliant IDE-SD interface is not fittable into CPLD (standard CPLD, not counting the cross-over products like machXO/MAX- II to CPLD's)

Reply to
Antti

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:09:30 -0000) it happened Antti wrote in :

OK, FPGA, actually I was thinking that first. But make no mistake: what part is [in] the 'driver' and what part is the CPLD [FPGA]. Maybe with some clever doing you could make the hardware part very simple.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

eh, if you read my replies, then I did not outrule this to be implementatble in "3 USD FPGA", there are not so many FPGA with

Reply to
Antti

It looks to me like the one-per-card chips are probably buffer memories of some sort.

Reply to
cs_posting

sure, its very simple:

[ATA device IP Core] < BUFFER > [SD Host IP Core]
  • some small management state machine.

it really is simple as that, but I would not call it "buffer memory of some sort"

Antti

Reply to
Antti

You assume that the operation of the buffers is trivial. I suspect it may not be. Even the ATA interface is non-trivial if you want to support the faster transfer modes. There's probably a reason why it's an FPGA and not simply a CPLD.

I'm sure someone could make a more cost-optomized design, but at the extremes of that, performance may suffer. Of course we could also be looking at a product where someone plunked down the parts they thought would be required to make a good solution, but shipped it before getting their HDL code beyond minimal low-rate functionality.

Oh, and absent information as to what type of "buffer memory" it is, what exactly would you call it?

Reply to
cs_posting

Yes, if you have an 8 bit port, and 8 cards, use the cards in SPI mode (DO,DI,CS,Clk) one card per bit, then if 200kB / sec you get

16 MB/sec...... not even bad. Optimizing would bring that to (I think I have seen 800kB/s reported in SPI) 64 MB /sec read.... So that would use _very_simple logic, why keep to any spec... your own driver.
Reply to
panteltje

the OP was talking about device that

1) is FULLY ATA compliant 2) is FULLY SD Card compliant 3) uses 2 SD cards both in 4 bit mode to maximize speed

this has nothing todo with "own spec" and SPI mode

Antti

Reply to
Antti

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:14:03 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Oops, divide by 10 please ... Still 6.4 MB/sec would be usable...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:18:31 -0000) it happened Antti wrote in :

I do not care what OP was talking about, I _do_ care how I could do it. SDcard spec is expensive you know? WTF do I need it for if it can be done in an other way. We were looking for _cheap_ solutions right? Else you just buy a flash disk.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

WTF ?!

_cheap_ things do not have to be shit, or am I mistaken here?

the 8*SPI in parallel is hardly more expensive in hardware terms then proper design.

besides the SPI parallel trick need read sync as even same card will not respond with same clock cycle delay to read commands, so the clock lines need separate steering. It way more reasonable to make device that runs 2 SD card in parallel (in 4 bit mode)

Antti

Reply to
Antti