Can anyone identify this device?

What's the story?

http:\\\\

\\thing.htm

Reply to
foxchip

My guess is that it's one of those flashing LED widgets that you usually see as part of a larger pin (e.g.,

but it seems to be missing its LEDs!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Yup...I have one on my desk.. But a little different..

3 SMD leds in a row. The IC is more square than rectangular.

What is the same is:

2 button cells magnet clear plastic dome ..and it works.. D from BC
Reply to
D from BC

It's a series of resistor bolometers designed in an array meant to track heat signature movement, such as would be found in the nose of a heat seeking missile.

Just one guess. I certainly appears optical in nature.

Reply to
GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

2 LEDs and a driver (probably flashing) chip with option for a 3rd LED not fitted.

If you can't see it flashing with good batteries in then it is broken or more likely infra red.

You mentioned sticking to a car roof. If infra red it is the kind of thing spooks surreptitiously stick on the roof of a car they want to track with a plane/helicopter.

Did you find it stuck on your car ;)

Reply to
nospam

It's a flashing lapel pin. I don't know why there's no picture or anything - some years ago, I got one like this but it was of an American flag, with flashing red and blue LEDs. There should have been a little metal piece with it that goes on the other side of the lapel, to hold it in place.

And, URLs use forward slashes '/', not backslashes.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A URL slash inverter?

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Ask not for whom the tolls.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

It comes with two magnets. One inside (as has been found), and one outside, likely missing.

Firefox corrected it.

Reply to
Gary Tait

The device is obviously a nomenclature.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster