74LVT transition times: How low can you go?

There is, however, a cost difference. A BAV70 runs you about a cent or two. But in this app that wouldn't matter (it usually does in my apps though).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, that one stated Schmitts. Wonder why they still have those recommended tr/tf times in the data sheet. Oh well, I guess one can then happily ignore those. Unfortunately only NXP mentions Schmitts, TI doesn't unless I overlooked something. And NXP is out of stock :-(

Agree, it all should. Would make life much easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

See my earlier comment - they spec this so they can define the tpd, and don't need to spend more time testing.

I just looked at IDT's offering, they spec : VH Input Hysteresis VCC = 3.3V 100mV typ

74LVC244A shows at Future and Digikey, in most packages ?

Today package of choice seems to be TSSOP20. Not as easy to solder as SO20, but a whole heap smaller/thinner.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Yes, indeed. I was looking at the one you had suggested further above, the LVC2244 where there is no stock. Still, it's somewhat uncomfortable to have to release only one manufacturer and ban others for the same chip. But it sure ain't the first time.

Thanks again for the hint. The LVC244 (from NXP) looks like a good chip.

Yes, but I got used to it. Bought 3x glasses for lab work when TSSOP came out ;-)

Meantime I became a bit careful if a chip is not migrated to TSSOP because that could be an indicator that it's heading to lalaland.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think he's talking low duty cycles and fairly rapid slew through the transition. I doubt the chip temperature would increase measurably.

I did recently post regarding a tiny logic triple buffer that was run from +5 but driven from 3.3 volt logic. It was visibly hot on an ir imager, +15c above ambient, with all three section inputs at +3.3. We persuaded a single section to pull 45 mA by teasing the input voltage, but it was probably oscillating too.

Never damaged one, though.

John

I did the same experiment with HCT04 gate powered from +5V. At 3.3V input, it was draining 0.5mA. At 2V at the input, the current was 1mA. The worst case consumption happened around 0.9V at the input, where it was about 4mA.

I don't see any problems here.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

To the OP, if you need 100 ns of delay to make your timing come out, there may be a problem with the design. I am sure you know what you are doing, but typically the /OE is used on all bus devices as the timing control and the /CE is used for selection. Most devices generate the /OE with enough timing margin relative to the address and any CPU generated /CE controls that you shouldn't need to delay /OE. You say your address decoding is very complex, is this what the /OE delay is needed to compensate for? Is there a way to speed up the address decode?

I would like to understand what the diode based circuit is doing. I am primarily a digital designer and learned a long time ago that analog components in a digital circuit usually meant someone was using a bandaid or did not know how to do things "correctly". I'm not saying this is a true statement, but this was the view I was taught. Is the diode in series with the driver (with a resistor in parallel with the diode) along with a pull up resistor and the cap? I would like to see how this circuit would work just so I could use it if I ever needed to. I think that (in opposition to my training) there are times when a simple analog circuit is ok to use in a digital design, for example, a clock detector using a differentiator and an RC filter. But it is important to pay attention to voltage levels over temperature to make sure enough voltage margin is preserved.

Reply to
rickman

Good point. This is shamanism however it has to be done sometimes. Remember the pull-up resistor on Z80 clock input? The modern CPUs have the provision for picosecond timing adjustment on the signals.

I'm not

Diode in series with the resistor plus the other resistor in parallel. Cap to the ground. The falling front is delayed, the raising front is also delayed but for less amount of time.

I think that (in opposition to my training) there are

As usual, it is nothing wrong the tricks like that as long as one clearly knows what he is doing and what are the other implications.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

This is one of those circuits that may work ok and may not. The diode drop will cause a noticable voltage drop. So the fast edge will rise/ fall to a point and then trail out to the "proper" voltage level. Both edges will suffer from increased noise sensitivity due to the slowed edge rate. This may or may not be an issue with your design depending on the noise level. A schmitt trigger will deal with the slowed signal edges much more effectively, but may be overkill for any given app. I have not seen too many diodes that are significantly smaller than one of the pico gates, so I don't use them for anything other than ESD protection.

Reply to
rickman

It can be quite amazing what you can get away with though. I came across a board where, from the circuit diagram, it looked like bus contention would occur. I had a conversation with the designer, he knew about it and was perfectly happy with it because it meant he had less components on the board and the design worked!! Nice :-)

Although sometimes you don't get it away with it also. Two bits of electronics I was asked to look at spring to mind (1) a micropower circuit where slewed edges into a cmos gate totally screwed up battery performance :-), and (2) RC filters on xilinx XC9500 cpld, which resulted an intermittent fault occurring in its operation. My only conclusion I could make was that the XC9500 didn't care much for the slewed edges from the filters. Anyway - no problem as this was a prototype board. I recommended schmitts for the production units. About 2 months later I was asked to look at the production units because they seemed to have an intermittent fault..... hey ho :-)

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Taylor

... snip ...

A diode into a RC pullup network can give a fast attack (for negative transitions) and a controlled rise time (for positive transitions). This assumes the driver can handle the negative going current and that the receiver can stand the one diode drop from ground level. Without the capacitor it can also be a simple-minded level shifter.

CBFalconer

From a power aspect, with HCT, you are correct. With newer devices, that 4mA will go higher, but you'd still struggle to kill a device.

The other issue that can bite, is transistion oscillation. Without a Schmitt, if you scoped the output at the 4mA peak, you will see what I mean. That can cause real problems with downstream devices - I've seen even unrelated pin drive have edge-oscillation effects that needed external remedies.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Not really, unless I use a CPLD here which I don't want to. These board should not contain any programmables. There are SPI devices and these only have one enable, not /OE plus /CE. BTW they use various names for that pin. Even within the same company (Analog Devices) it's called /SYNC on the DACs I am using and /CS on the ADC.

On SPI the MISO line should be coming off tri-state a bit delayed to make sure the others have definitely let go of it.

Cannot post a schematic from this computer but it's simple: Imagine an RC with the R in series and a cap to ground. That creates a delay. Now place a series combo of another R and a diode across the resistor and the delay becomes shorter in one direction. That's basically it. When you have Schmitts and fulfill the logic swing thresholds the diode is ok. For really low voltage logic you can use a BAT54 but at 3.3V a regular one is usually fine. I never shied away from combining analog and logic. Built switcher supplies and what not around these.

Vladimir: I did not call shamans before releasing this stuff because I am a Lutheran :-)))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Care to elaborate why ?

In these situations (hand-over uncertainty), I've also seen simple series resistors used. They keep the currents to safe levels, and permit some latency tolerance, and normally the time frames are short.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Now this is beginning to make some sense.

Regardless of the name, all you need to do to prevent contention is for the controller to delay enabling the next device for a period after it disables the last device. Why is the controller not handing this? That would be the "correct" digital approach to dealing with this problem.

The reason to be careful combining digital and analog in these ways is because of how the digital thresholds vary over temperature, voltage and process. You can model, test and analyze, but you still need to allow plenty of margin for things you don't easily control such as process variation and noise.

Heck, I saw a circuit that simply used a FET to control the current through an LED. But the transfer characteristics of the FET are not well controlled. After two years of use in a design they tweeked their process and the circuit stopped working due to the rise in threshold voltage. Not a lot, just enough to make the LEDs too dim to really see.

Reply to
rickman

Why bother? A little transient bus contention never hurt anybody.

John

Great. I have seen bunch of leds connected in parallel. Another good one is driving a led by logic '1' directly from a chip. But the best solution I ever heard of is using comparator as opamp in the measurement circuit! And after that somebody complains about the software...

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I see. You want to be more holy than a Pope, Larkin and Rickman altogether, that is what this circuit for :)))

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Programming is a hassle, we want to be able to just populate the boards, test and plug them in.

We could do that but there'll be a whole lot of boards in the unit and thus a pretty large backplane that needs to be driven. Plus the digital designer for the other stuff really would like Thevenin. But with Schmitt inputs it'll be ok.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Well, we opted for a bare bones bus where the adresses do that :-)

That's why I like Schmitts. Unless I want to use an logic inverter as a linear amp...

Thou shalt not go by the typical Rdson versus Vgs graph but always by the guaranteed values.