See-through wire mesh to ESD/RFI protect LCD?

After trying Google, McMaster, and lots of others: Is there a see-through (thin) mesh that can be fastened to the back of a steel panel using conductive epoxy around the perimeter? Preferably something that can't rust.

It is to protect a LCD from getting hit by strong fields or really big ESD zaps. Currently there is only some kind of poly film 1/10th" away from the LCD (doesn't touch). It's ok if the translucent properties aren't top notch since the LCD is back-lit pretty well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg,

while i dont know about wire mesh, i do know something that might also help and would be worth a try: RS 264-9382 is supposed to be fairly conductive and more or less transparent. Its very expensive though, probably okay for low volume things but certainly not something you might want to use on cheap, high volume devices...

Joerg schrieb:

Reply to
Robert Obermayer

Thanks, Robert. Had cancelled right away because it should have gone into sci.electronics.design instead but I guess cancels don't work well anymore.

The price would be ok, we have to save an existing (large) base of units. But this film probably can't be glued on easily from the back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg schrieb:

Id glue it on with a strip of doule-sided film and then use aluminium or copper tape with conductive glue to get a electrical contact between the conductive side of the film and the front panel.

Ive seen similar construction on a display unit (probably from a old cash machine) i found at some trash yard.

Reply to
Robert Obermayer

That's a good idea. As long as this stuff survives "baking" in hot climates without falling off and into the circuit ... bzzzt. These units will sit in the hot sun all day long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would be hard to install in a reliable fashion. And the guys in Brussels would be pelting us ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Lead glass window?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Something like this?

Anthony Fremont

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Wow, somebody was really determined there. But, quote "Finally, it starts to smoke." ... We can't quite do that here because there is a poly surface on the whole thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not that stuff, but this version would work:

Thanks, Anthony!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Soll das jetzt ein Besipiel dafür sein, warum X/Multi-posts blöd sind?

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Nein, ich hatte versehentlich den Knopf gedrueckt, bevor beide Adressen auf den korrekten englischsprachigen Gruppen standen. Gleich geloescht und neuen Post gesetzt, war aber zu spaet. Bitte instaendig um Vergebung.

--
Gruesse, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mit einem f'up wäre das nicht passiert. Naja, uninteressant ist es ja nicht ;-)

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Falk Willberg schrieb:

Samstag, 26. Januar 2008: Joerg gibt zu einen Fehler gemacht zu haben. Kalender mit rotem Kreuz versehen.

CNR, Dieter

Reply to
Dieter Wiedmann

Eindeutig Burggraben.

- Henry

--
www.ehydra.dyndns.info
Reply to

Dieter Wiedmann schrieb:

Kalender mit xxxxx gusseisernem Kreuz versehen.

CNR²

Reply to
Klaus Butzmann

Joerg- google on "ITO film". Not a mesh.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It'll might a challenge to mount that onto the back of a steel panel though. Probably comes with an adhesive but that can stick to the existing polycarbonate that's already there if someone presses it hard enough.

Anthony's hint produced this:

Now I just have to get a sample, find some really good conductive epoxy that will hold up in tropical climates and we'd be home.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to