See-through wire mesh to ESD/RFI protect LCD?

After trying Google, McMaster, and lots of others: Is there a see-through (thin) mesh that can be fastened to the back of a steel panel using conductive epoxy around the perimeter? Preferably something that can't rust.

It is to protect a LCD from getting hit by strong fields or really big ESD zaps. Currently there is only some kind of poly film 1/10th" away from the LCD (doesn't touch). It's ok if the translucent properties aren't top notch since the LCD is back-lit pretty well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

This article;

mentions Indium-tin-oxide coated film being opticall transparent with a coating of less than 8um

EMIclare is mentioned. Google finds distributiors. Seems to be available in glass or polycarbonate.

Provided the viewing aperture in the panel isn't huge, you have a reaonable overlap between the screen and the steel panel, and the display is a display is a couple of mm back from the screen you could use a non-conducting adhesive and rely on the screen to panel capacitance.

I'm dubious about conductive adhesive but I'd like to hear about a source of it that is cheap and actually sticks things well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks, Bob. Very interesting. The gasket method won't work well here because the LCD sticks out but doesn't overlap enough.

Meantime I found one interesting company, will contact them Monday. In case anyone else is running into such issues:

There is also Optolite (Keyflex) but that seems to be available only in AU/NZ.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Something like this?

Anthony Fremont

Not that stuff, but this version would work:

Thanks, Anthony!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

3M and Chomerics make conductive double-sticky tape, too, which might be nicer than epoxy.

John

Joerg- google on "ITO film". Not a mesh.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Anthony Fremont had a good link and there I found "the" stuff:

Only about 20 miles from you guys (or 60-120 Bay Area minutes on your freeways...). Sorry for splintering up this thread. First post went to a NG in another language and I did a cancel the second it showed but on usenet that's too late.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It'll might a challenge to mount that onto the back of a steel panel though. Probably comes with an adhesive but that can stick to the existing polycarbonate that's already there if someone presses it hard enough.

Anthony's hint produced this:

Now I just have to get a sample, find some really good conductive epoxy that will hold up in tropical climates and we'd be home.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My favorite 2-part conductive "glue" is made from tin and lead. Can't recall the name though. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Joerg wrote in news:6MPmj.9257$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

Might help, anyway, I was looking for something different when I found that. It describes silver loaded epoxy for connecting fragile solar cells.

And if anyone knows a good thermally conductive epoxy to bond a thin (0.5mm) layer of copper onto a thick (>3mm) aluminium base with very strong bonding and very good thermal conductivity, please post. I don't mind if it's electrically conductive or not, it must be low viscosity though, to form a very thin strong bond with no voids.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I'd use it if it would glue aluminium. Tried HTS2000 but without a flux, forget it, and the maker doesn't just not specify a flux, they specifically specify NO flux...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Wow, 'optical grade, precision stainless steel'. Wonder if I could make lenses out if it?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can't solder or weld here, it's a 3mm steel panel with plastic on the other side. Which also kind of precludes heat-cure stuff such as Loctite

3880.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They say "New lamination materials are available that can be processed at even lower temperatures like 80°C." That's still a bit highish but I wish they had mentioned some manufacturers.

Wish I could help but that's really outside my expertise. Maybe contact a Loctite engineer about it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes indium-oxide, a yellowish material is usualy built up as a layer in the overlay and tied to GND. I've also seen small mesh Stainless or steel screen used in front of LED displays.

Cheers

(thin) mesh that can be fastened to the back of a

that can't rust.

zaps. Currently there is only some kind of poly

properties aren't top notch since the LCD is

Reply to
Martin Riddle

overlay and tied to GND.

displays.

Yep, the stainless steel is what we are going to do. Now I have to find a really reliable conductive epoxy that cures without heat. Found Loctite 3882, no info on their site so I just wrote to them. Let's see.

(thin) mesh that can be fastened to the back of a

that can't rust.

zaps. Currently there is only some kind of poly

properties aren't top notch since the LCD is

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

overlay and tied to GND.

displays.

really reliable conductive epoxy that cures

them. Let's see.

The latest silver based epoxies are pretty good. I've used something in the past (cant remember which one, Loctite or Masterbond) and it had very good electrical and bonding properties.

Martin Riddle

"Martin Riddle" wrote in news:9_Rmj.1394$w66.491@trndny06:

Came across that tonight. Saved the page to check it out in detail, it looks like a goer. Another firm worth a look is Abatron. Not sure if theirs is conductive though. Last time I had something from Loctite it was not inspiring, called 'Output Kit', a very viscous coarse epoxy bought from Maplin. I'm sure they do better though, but I want to find out more general info before asking one firm for details.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Joerg wrote in news:jIQmj.41809$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

What margin for temperature? Even the tropics should leave you enough to try one of various indium based solders.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan