Copper or brass wire mesh

I'm thinking of reinforcing solder points on dropper resistors, subjected to vibration. Forcing a small pad of mesh over the lead and burying in the solder. Other than proper suppliers for large quantities, what sort of shops/conventional applications would use it.? My local decent hardware shop has nothing , a local machine mart has expanded brass sheet but that is too coarse. Would there be a gardening/horticulture use?

N Cook

I have done this sort of thing in the past, and have just tightly wrapped a few turns of tinned copper wire around the leg, before burying the whole in solder. Seemed to work ok.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi...

Just a thought off the top of my head... how about something so simple as a bit of screen like we might find used in windows/doors to keep the dratted mosquito's out?

Perhaps you could find some unfinished, or if need be dip a chunk of it in paint remover to clean it up?

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Used solder wick works nice.

Reply to
Meat Plow

subjected

in

Thats what I've done before and bits of desolder braid and stripped coax shielding and also scraping back board/trace lacquer for more contact area and folding back leads along traces before soldering. Eventually found a hobby shop with what I was after

2 copper and 2 brass 80 mesh 5 x 6 inch sheets, bit finer than I was after but finer is better than coarser. Amaco of Indianapolis , Wireform Metal Mesh and Wiremesh woven Fabric. Presumably bigger sheets of it are used by the mind control nutters. A 2 hole paper punch makes neat 5mm pads and a needle to make a pilot hole. While there I could not resist a bag of miniature wooden 3/4 inch long sprung clothes pegs by Artstraws ,Swansea, for holding small bits while soldering or gluing, as I use the full size traditional wooden ones for so many things , including broken apart for wedges.

I can only assume I will see more and more of these bad joints due to lead-free soldering. Just this afternoon I returned a marshall valvestate to its owner. I had previously, last year , had to reinforce solder the main caps, which is common enough with leaded solder in combos. At that time I did not realise it was probably lead-free soldering especially as made 1998. This time 5 different medium size components had bad solder. Including one I've never seen from normal use rather than over-current/ heating. A flat-pack bridge rectifier had one visually obvious bad joint. I pushed on the adjascent corner with just finger pressure of perhaps 8 to

16 ounces and that pushed through. I had told him about this lead-free business when he dropped it off. When he picked it up he said he'd mentioned it to a relative of his who works for Marconi Aerospace and he was told the same about the problems they have with it in their area.

N Cook

subjected

wrapped a

in

I have used that before and stripped coax shielding but they are both messy for cutting small pads and also pushing mesh over the leads would give a bit of mechanical grip even without any solder. For large pads I've also used cut down and cleaned up old perforated zinc as used in old larders for ventilation but keeping flies out. It seems to solder quite well but its a bit thick for most components

N Cook

I think window screens used to be made of it, and some probably still are.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

quoted text -

You may have to special order honest to goodness copper window screening. Most nowadays is either plastic or aluminum, neither of which solders very well, especially with leadfree solder .

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

subjected to

the

are.

There are plenty of industrial suppliers of such mesh by the square m or by the m but I was after more sample size for this purpose. The pack of hobby "keepsakes & card" making sheets would be enough for 2,000 or so little copper and brass mesh pads. I have to give credit to the "customer service" woman ot Hobbycrafts, Southampton. I'd gone all around their converted horticultural greenhouse and not found what I was after. Of course this sort of query would not come up on their stock computer as copper wire mesh but she interpreted what I was after, recognised a product, and directed me to card making decorations and materials to a pack I must have passed over as it looked like sheets of reddish brown cards , in middle distance, as the mesh is so fine.

N Cook

Gasket for the magnetron on a microwave oven. They start off like a flat brass washer, but you can tease them out into a flat sheet of fine wire mesh. Find a local repairer and cadge a few old ones off him.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote: Most nowadays is either plastic or aluminum, neither of

Oh I dunno, lead free works about as reliably on plastic as it does on copper :)

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

subjected to

I've now got enough brass and copper cloth to keep me in pads for years but I will have to be aware of shedding the odd almost hair sized bits of copper wire fraying off the edges of this cloth - worse than tin whiskers. I think I'll selvidge the edges oif these bits of metal "cloth".

N Cook

Back in the day we used to get small pieces of brass/bronze screen from autoparts stores. IIRC They were used for a of filter in automatic transmissions. I don't know if they're still available as I'm talking ~30 years ago.

steve

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

Along the way I tried Kingstons auto spares, Southampton and the old boys in there know all there is to know about car bits and could not help.

N Cook