Yagi TV/FM Antenna--See Through Trees?

Is it possible for an antenna to see through a thicket of trees? I noticed a picture on a web site of a UHF antenna in an attic.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Yes it's possible. The signal will be attenuated slightly by the trees but it will probably be ok, unless the signal is already very weak.

My TV antenna is in my attic and it works fine through the roof tiles.

Reply to
Gareth

Wet trees have higher attenuation than dry at UHF.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I would have guessed that leaves contribute to any trouble. I suppose wet leaves have produce appreciable attenuation.

Speaking of weak, at one time I laid the antenna and pole on the ground to attend to something else. I happened to have a strong signal that I had been looking at, and could see a somewhat dimmed view on the TV screen. Strange stuff.

Reply to
W. eWatson

As I distantly recall, attenuation of a signal varies a lot by frequency and medium. UHF, VHF, C-Band, X-Band, etc. GPS has a tough time getting through leaves. Probably some frequencies have difficulties with the atmosphere, etc. Dunno... There are probably charts on these things.

Reply to
W. eWatson

What? By variety of tree, seasons and moisture contend? The best bet is to shoot through the trees for a clean signal.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

TV first came to my state in eastern India 31 years ago when some army personnel discovered that they could receive transmissions from a Bangladesh station some 100 miles to the west. Only those of us on the western slopes of the hilly terrain could get a usable signal. The reception at the house of a friend, though facing west, was very bad - more snow than picture. There was a medium-sized tree 100 ft away right in the reception path. I thought that was probably blocking the signal, so they chopped off most of the branches. The difference was quite significant.

Reply to
Pimpom

yes, lower frequencies work best. UHF probably ok (but not ideal) depending to some extend how many trees, how wet they are, and how windy it is.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Another not see through transmission of trees is Satellite TV.

Reply to
W. eWatson