Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

buying a UPS for my new PC
i am buying a new PC that is coming with a 600 watt power supply and I have an existing APC BACKUP that has 750VA and 450 Watts....... is this good enough for my new PC?
3
3

Simple Test for Coil On "Wasted Spark" 2 Cylinder Engine
I suspected a CDI coil wouldn't put out enough voltage for the "energy transfer" -- the worst misnomer ever -- system and suggested shorting out the spark plug electrode on one of the 2 cylinders by...
20
20

connecting wires to pencils underwater
I'm interested in the prospect of using pencils as electrodes for electrolysis of water, but I'm trying to figure out a way to attach the wires from the power supply to the other end of each pencil so...
16
16

LM339 Comparator input limits?
The LM339 spec sheet indicates the maximum negative input voltage should not be more than -0.3 volts. The schematic shows the input connected to the base of a PNP transistor with the collector at the...
12
12

Charging a marine battery
About 3 months ago, I purchased a deep cycle marine battery (12v) from Costco. It probably weighs 60 pounds. The application I intended for it is slowly proceeding, and I haven't used the battery at...
31
31

Driving a big LED with a MOSFET
I'm trying to drive a big LED (3W) with a MOSFET. Eventually I want to drive it with an Arduino but so far I'm failing to get the right numbers in my test circuit. My test circuit is like this: +5 |...
25
25

Charging an alarm battery
I have a Xantrex 12v rechargeable 600 Power Pack battery. Yesterday I charged it up and then attached a 12v smaller alarm battery. I forgot to check a few hours later. However, 8 hours later I...
4
4

*small* spark generator
I need to generate sparks between two pieces of brass, about a half inch apart or slightly more. I want each spark to be triggered by a logic line going high (going low would work, too.) The voltage...
20
20

Burnt out Electric Fence Tape
Hi guys, Anyone got any answers to an odd phenomena i've seen with an electric fence tape. The tape in 1/2 inch wide insulated with about 5 or six stainless strands woven through it. I have a 30ft...
5
5

Step Up Pre Coil/Transformer
OK Honda no longer makes the original ignition coil that steps up the voltage by 3 -4 orders of magnitude. What's the easiest way to get a 40,000 volt spark out of a 12 volt ac system with a 100X step...
3
3

Tesla generator
Has anyone actually made one of these out of four diodes and four capacitors. If so how much aerial is needed and what voltage was obtained? R

Curious about white LED circuit
I bought a few surplus pc boards that contain 29 LEDs and some resistors. 13" long x 2" wide. The wiring seems odd, there are two circuits repeated. The first: two series LEDs in series with a 560 ohm...
3
3

OT: Oooops!
Oooops! Technology has caught up with me... Looks like the modern world of home theater all talks HDMI. (All my present A/V is 18 years old :-) So I looking for receiver recommendations. I'm looking...
5
5

Where do I find this part?
Where do I find this part?.... It's a rubber cabinet foot, made in the style of automotive panel fasteners... insert into hole, push pin in to lock. My surfing comes up zilch. Maybe some of you...
10
10

Why Would Spark Ignition Need Rectification?
For an inline 4 with 2 coils, car or motorcycle there's no polarity switching diodes - usually the pickup coil flips a bistable to & fro to drive the LT circuit switching transistors. Its called the;...
6
6