The Wire In Wire Guided Missiles

Back during the cold war some EE said that he had little faith in any radio controlled missile. The only thing you could trust was a wire guided missile. He added, it must be really strong wire . . .

I'm guessing it comes off a reel axially like the fishing reel.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

"Bret Cahill"

** There is no high speed spinning reel, rotational inertia is way too high.

AFAIK - the wire comes off a fixed bobbin, sideways.

The technique is still widely used for anti-tank weapons with ranges up to

3.5 kms. The best of them can punch a hole right through 0.5 metre thick armour plate, killing the crew inside.

Heaps of details on wiki.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah, like a spinning reel, not like a fly reel. All the diagrams I've seen show that.

This photo shows a TOW missile with two wires spiralling off the back

I'm told that the Scorpion tank's Stinger missiles use a fine gauge coaxial wire for a video feed and control.

I wonder if any missiles use optical fibre instead of wire, it should work for something like (IIRC) MILAN where the sustainer and steering jets are off-axis and forward of the spool, well once the booster change has finished firing. maybe that start of the fibre would need an ablative coating to protect against the booster flame during launch.

--
?? 100% natural.

Jasen Betts

Yep. Imagine how fast it would have to spin to keep up with a rocket. It would self destruct.

nb. This is the reason that CD drives topped out at 56x speed. Above that the inertial forces can rip the CDs apart.

Mythbusters did an episode on it.

Reply to
fungus

** Long before that happened, inertia would cause the hair fine wire to break.
** Yep, "centrifugal" force is a killer.

Even solid steel flywheels and giant, power station alternators have strict rpm limits to prevent disastrous self destruction.

As do humble, bench grinding wheels.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Also, the bobbins are often (always?) cone shaped to assist the wire take off

David Eather

Don't forget about the torpedoes... :)

-- @~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real! / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! /( _ )\ May the Force and farces be with you! ^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Man-wai Chang

I designed several hybrid circuits for the TOW missile when I managed the engineering department at Dickson Electronics, so I was a guest at numerous test firings.

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

Yes; the bobbin is fixed, and the wire comes from the CENTER of the ball-of-string bobbin. No rotating reel, just slightly curly wire from the inside of a little can.

Your wire, of course, is not a perfect communication channel; if it drapes over grass, all is fine. If it dips into a salt marsh, not so good.

Reply to
whit3rd

Any fun stories about that?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Not really. Every firing I witnessed was letter-perfect.

Only "fun" thing was the electronics are in a stack of round PCB's. The assembly is shoved inside the missile tube, then the tube is compressed _magnetically_ ! One hell of a shock! They managed to kill some of other suppliers components, but none of my hybrids ever failed. So they loved me ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Magnetically like a coin shrinker? I guess it takes a smaller pulse to "shrink" a hollow tube than a solid disc.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

"shrink" a

Yep. They called it a "magneformer". ...Jim Thompson

exciting! I made a magneformer, and did some coin crushing years ago. I should see if the caps are still good. I've not really figure out how to dispose of them when they finally burst as they're about the size of a two drawer filing cabinet, but much heavier. Not sure the scrappers would grab them if they're bleeding out in the alley.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Back during the cold war some EE said that he had little faith in any radio controlled missile. The only thing you could trust was a wire guided missile. He added, it must be really strong wire . . .

I'm guessing it comes off a reel axially like the fishing reel.

Bret Cahill

***Not much more than a decade or so ago, some of the salvage & surplus dealers were advertising reels of that wire in various electronics hobby mags.
Reply to
Ian Field

Connect the power supply in reverse and they might dispose of themselves.

Reply to
fungus