TO 220F vs TO 220

Hi all, which is the difference between these two package ? When I need to use the TO220F ? Why ?

thanks

mauri

Reply to
mauri236

Hi mauri, These are specifications describing the physical package of the device. The electronics of the devices are the same but the physical characteristics of the container (package) are different. Do a search and see the actual packages, you will then be able to determine which one you need for a particular application. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

In addition to Tom's comments, you should look at the drawings from the same manufacturer as the device you are contemplating. Many put the drawings in the datasheet, others do not.

Every manufacturer has their own drawings for devices (although they are supposed to be standard), but just occasionally a manufacturer does a slightly non-standard part.

Let's say you were looking at a On Semi MC7805T (5V regulator) - you should use the On Semi drawings to see the difference. Among other things, the package difference may change the pinout, so be careful.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

PeteS ha scritto:

Thank you guys for your answers. I've seen that the pinout is the same, but the TO220F is defined as overmold and insulated package. What does it mean ?

thanks mauri

Reply to
mauri236

That means that if you mount it on a heat sink that is not isolated, you don't have to put a mica or other film insulation between the device and the heat sink (and use nylon shoulder washer to keep the bolt from contacting the tab) to isolate it. Just bolt it down with some thermal grease under it.

Reply to
John Popelish

it means the tag (which you bolt to the heatsink) is insulated (so you don't need to use bushes or insulating washers, and thjat you may use conductive heatsink compound

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Jasen Betts ha scritto:

thanks too much to everybody that answered to me. Now it's clear

by mauri

by mauri

Reply to
mauri236