DVI digital signal over VGA cable

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal through a VGA cable (turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

Problem is that my computer has a DVI output, and my flat-screen TV in another room has a DVI input (digital only) but the only wire running through the walls is a VGA cable.

When I google it I am only finding results for adapters to go from DVI to VGA.

I did try a standard DVI to VGA adapter on both ends and it didn't work. I think it is only passing the analog part of the signal so there is nothing to "convert back" at the digital end.

Thanks

Reply to
Beth

No. Doesn't exist; DVI requires multiple shielded paired conductors, and VGA has three shielded single conductors; the 'adapter' is just a way to use the VGA signals kept (for compatibility) off to one side of some (not all) DVI sources.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for your reply. Looking at this site

it appears that DVI single link only used 12 pins. Cant the 15pin VGA cable be adapted to work for this?

Reply to
Beth

The short, simple answer is no.

I could give you a much longer, less simple answer, but the final word would still be "no."

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers