Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?

NT's multitasking is true, preemptive, and as good as any.

The present is 2005, not the late 90s, and OS/2 is history.

Explain the exact differences in multitasking between the two systems, and why OS/2 multitasking is "better."

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the stories about whence NT was "stolen." One day it's VMS, another day it's OS/2 ...

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

Does anybody really care?

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

I don't see the connection.

As I've said, I wasn't interested in compatibility stuff.

Why not?

"Based"? What does that mean?

Well, I _did_ check, and they _did_ write it from scratch. Of course they adopted ideas that had been used in other various operating systems, but every OS does that.

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

Writing an OS in assembly language is not necessarily a bad decision. OS code quality is a function of the people you hire to write the code and the way you manage the project, not the programming language you choose. Assembly language has the advantage of being extremely tight and fast; but it's not very portable.

OS/2 died for reasons independent of being written in any particular language, as you explain elsewhere.

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

DBLEXPOSURE, , the panic-stricken, frumpish geezer, and keeper of the pantry, ejected:

Noooooo? Where? Run away!!!!!

Nice k0ok-out, replying to the same post twice with different ideas.

-- DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities; not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk; parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness, irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes; avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source; smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt, MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet; must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia; allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse, self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation, broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken glass, falling rocks, mud slides, forest fire, flying projectiles or dropping the item are also excluded; other restrictions may apply. If something offends you, lighten up, get a life, and move on. All conditions apply. Not available in all stores. Facts have been changed to protect the guilty.

Zuxycgexgpsucewcxrexppkdwdxxpxugzpseyewesbpjlvdscxldjdfbdmpgexcf.Zdpup Mywjerljawkyeywrygyiwkblbdjalaeygit,eayirawkat.Jyitdjamieritywyrykydja

Reply to
Kadaitcha Man

Actually it was the other way around. As IBM black mailed into writing OS/2. And IBM's master plan was to get everyone off of MS-DOS and on to OS/2. Then IBM would have OS/2 changed to run on only true IBM PCs. Thus killing off the clone market and MS as well. This was all documented and shown on PBS.

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

excuse me, if memory serves IBM had MS write the first OS which i think was for the 286 and thought that it would be alive for a long time. then when 386 hit they tried to get MS to rewrite it for them and thus ms quoted such a high price just to get them to go away thus leading the way for MS to where they are now. mean while IBM then took over the development to carry it on with their own programmers. that is the way i remember it.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Supposedly better in design, but OS/2 sucked in real life for many of us! As only one OS/2 Win session had sound while the others was soundless. And a good number of Windows applications would routinely crashed under OS/2, but stable as a rock under Windows 3.1. Then the OS/2 GUI was unstable for at least a couple of years and crashed the whole system. Then the FixPaks often caused more problems than they fixed. IBM programmers are morons!

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

Hmm, D4 is an acronym for the once famous "Delphi 4", now since never versions exist they are in the order of D5,D6,D7 and now in the D2005 and soon D2006. maybe changing the name of the utility mite help.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

You mean hardly useful! And IBM dropped support a few months before they were saying they would never drop OS/2 support. IBM has never done anything except lie to me over and over again.

I did a search through OS/2 files for the Microsoft copyright in Warp a few years ago. And Warp was littered everywhere with Microsoft's code throughout OS/2.

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

Am I the only guy that was working with this crap back then? IBM contracted with M$ to write OS/2 for them in like 1987. M$ drug their feet on the release, while spending IBM's money, so that they could get Win 3.0 out before OS/2, by saying that OS/2 just wasn't stable enough for release yet. Yeah, no conflict of interest their. Finally IBM got fed up and took the project away from M$. There are very many suspicious similarities in "bugs" within the graphics system calls of Win 3.0 and OS/2.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Nobody I've seen yet thanked you for recommending this fine program. Well I for one am very grateful! Although I usually set my computers clocks about 5 to 10 times per year because they were off about a minute. But now this is one task I don't have to worry about anymore.

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

IBM sounds a lot like Apple.

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

Interesting interview with Bill Gates on the whole OS/2 debacle in PC Magazine, Nov 8, 2005 page 122-123.

Best regards.

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

Nope!

It might have been in '86 actually. And MS had been working on Windows since about '84. Although MS couldn't give the development time it deserved because those MS programmers were mostly working on OS/2. MS lost 3 years in Windows development because of OS/2.

IBM only paid MS for the lines of code MS produced. IBM didn't care if MS spent more time to make the code lean, mean and faster. As IBM would pay you less if you did so. IBM was cutting their own throats. IBM is full of a much of morons. Impossible to work with and to get paid fairly for. Hell I would work slowly and drag my feet as well for those morons.

Yeah, IBM got fed up alright! As Microsoft didn't want to be a slave to IBM (who always makes slaves or crushes anybody that gets in their way up to this point in time). And IBM wanted MS to create OS/2 which would be made to run on only true IBM PCs after they have the world hooked on OS/2.

Yeah that is a great plan for us, NOT! Bill Gates had taken the biggest risk in his career. As nobody ever bucked IBM and had survived. Although he did it! And thank goodness he did! As we all would be using real IBM machines and OS/2 by now.

Sure IBM was ticked that Bill Gates wasn't going to play along. So they parted ways. And IBM wouldn't sell any IBM computer with Windows installed for a short time. Until IBM realized that they couldn't sell IBM computers with either crappy PC-DOS or OS/2 on them. As people wanted Windows instead, plain and simple.

The same MS programmers wrote both OS/2 and Windows 3.0. So why should this be a surprise?

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

For each copy of MS-DOS, yes. They didn't get royalties for each copy of IBM-DOS that IBM distributed.

Notice the different letters, "MS-DOS" and "IBM-DOS", that indicates they're separate products, with separate licensing terms.

--
Sorry, she meant to say "stripped naked and thrown out an airlock",
I\'m sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Of course we've all seen how this has worked for Apple... "Think different (as long as it's how we tell you)"

--
Sorry, she meant to say "stripped naked and thrown out an airlock",
I\'m sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
 -- John Sheridan, B5
Reply to
DevilsPGD

What I find most interesting is that November 8 is still over a week in the future.

-- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

I suppose that's one way to look at the time that M$ spent sucking money from IBM and using it for their own gains.

would

I think IBM had visions of stability that M$ will never attain, ever.

fairly

morons.

Yeah, morons. They only own the mainframe market even though Honeywell made better hardware. IBM's only moronic move was to allow M$ to screw them for a second time. The first time being with MSDOS/IBMDOS games.

Too bad that isn't true since they would have done the world a great favor by crushing M$.

would

on

biggest

Although

IBM

Actually, if Gates wasn't so good at being greedy, we'd all be using something that actually worked. OS/2 was crap too. Too bad Xerox didn't have sense enough to stay in the game, they had the best product for the office in 1980. Apple didn't have anything that could come close for around 10 years. It took M$ almost another 5 years on top of that to catch up.

they

The only reason being that M$ delayed OS/2 was so that Win 3.0 could get the jump on it. If OS/2 would have shipped on time, it would have possibly eliminated windows.

It's not a surprise to me. I think it just goes to show that M$ had no qualms about directly lifting the code that they originally wrote for IBM using IBM's money and, AFAICT, IBM's design goals. I'm not saying that was illegal back then, but it certainly wouldn't happen in today's IP obsessed world without bringing about major court battles.

Here was a true visionary:

You obviously really like M$ so there probably isn't much point in continuing this until it becomes a real pissing contest. I run windos on some machines because I basically have to. When I need something that really works, I use Linux. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Proof that the biggest dick isn't in my pants. Read the frigging posts and quit being a jackass. If you really knew anyting about PC operating systems, you would know that the RTC on the motherboard is ONLY used upon a reboot, and that the OS does its OWN timekeeping. Punks like you, who just got a PC like two years ago, think that Windows reads the MB clock on every time slice, which only shows that all you are is a troll, with no knowledge of how things work.

A whole generation gave pukes like you computers and technology that your kind could never reproduce, and you don't even take the time to understand it.

Let's not loose track of that fact that windows, being unable to do REAL prememptive multitasking, is also incapable of keeping accurate time, for that very reason. Try not to listen when cornheads make dopey statements like "write a tight running program, and if you can switch to another one while it is running, then it is pre-emptively multitasking" for surely, stupider words were never spoken on Usenet, and that is saying a whole lot.

Only morons make statements about OS/2 when they can barely spell it, have never used it, and would not know a quality piece of software if they fell over it. It takes a real windows loving douche bag to proclaim OS/2 as technically inferior, and ever stupider people to not know that NT was originally OS/2.

What it takes tho, is reading, and research, instead of Public (government) TV as the means for the information.

Here are your replies, even before you write them:

"Listen s*****ad, I have been involved with computers for over forty years, and was on the internet before it was the internet. I was there when Gates cut his own umbilical cord and started typing on a keyboard before he was even toilet trained. I worked for IBM when they screwed up OS/2 because everyone knows that IBM was the stupidest, lamest, worst company in the history of the world....." and on and on with the same stupid, lame, moronic comments about how you are the most skilled person in usenet.

Usenet sucks, and so do the people who seem to need it in order to find any kind of self esteem and purpose in their lives. Try going outside, and doing something useful with life, instead of just being a ding dong all day with a keyboard. Sex can help, but not just with yourself.

Reply to
vanagonvw