Cheap Chinese Clocks, Adj ?

Is there any adjustment in these cheap Chinese clocks that run from 1.5 volt AA batteries? Got one losing 4 minutes per day. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Many have pcb trim links.

I have a unique one fitting that description, losing time badly. After swapping the 32kHz crystal, it's dead-on.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"amdx"

** That is a fault.

The mechanism is worn out or he AA cell is weak.

Needs to be a good alkaline with at least 1.35V at the terminals.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

New Battery. Good Battery.

Reply to
amdx

Yes, push it forward 4 minutes each morning.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

What manner of cheap Chinese clock? Crystal controlled mechanical clock? Real time clock? Accutron clone? LED clock? CPU clock? Maker and model? Any hieroglyphics on the package?

Do the math. 4 minutes out of 1440 minutes per day is an error of

0.28% or 2800 ppm. You're not going to be able pull a 32.768 Khz xtal that much. If you're lucky, can pull maybe 50 ppm. Translation: It's probably busted.

However, if the above doesn't apply, it would really nice if you would take the time to disclose what the [deleted expletive] you're working with.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oops. I forgot that it's not symmetrical. The basic accuracy is +/-

20 ppm. The adjustment range is typically about -120 ppm to +60 ppm. That's still much less than 2800 ppm.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

** But not an Energizer or a Duracell - right ?

Does the second hand progress smoothly round the dial ?

9 is the worst position.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It is an Energizer at 1.612V. Hits every second even around the 9.

Reply to
amdx

Certainly not on the cheap chinese clocks I've bought. Making them adjustable would cost more.

If it's newish, take it back for replacement or refund.

If it's not new, but has only recently started losing, with a good battery, it's probably about to die.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Do you have a link to this poor quality clock ??

Reply to
hamilton

The most recent ones don't any more but older ones did have a trimmer capacitor you could tweak. However, losing 4 mins a day is so far off that the device is probably mechanically failing (stalling at 10 to 2?). I doubt if you could pull one of the little 32kHz tuning fork xtals that far off its resonance. You can easily buy a replacement.

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to make a battery powered sidereal clock that would gain 3m 56s per day once upon a time. Badly trimmed RTC chips tend to be +/- 15s per day like Meade SCT telescopes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Mine is advancing 4-5 min every hour, and it's portable radio clock,

First, I think it's impossible for my power line running faster than 60 Hz that much...

I manage to open it and break the plastic cover, frustrating I put it back and find another at the store cost about $8

Reply to
ccon67

A pity it's not gaining 4 minutes each day, sidereal time.

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

If you can't adjust it, try giving it a good smack on the table ?

Reply to
boB

Then sell it on ebay as "unable to test". Call it an "anti-sidereal" clock.

Reply to
Tom Miller

For a cute circuit borrowing the 60 cycle stuff floating in the air and achieving atomic standatds, see techlib.com Generally, you are supposed to throw it away and buy another. :) Crowd-sourced QC. jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

Faulty crystal, is my bet. Had one in a run of 25 units of a device I designed. All were assembled the same way, using a "reputable" source for the crystals.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I'll give that job to the wife. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

That would be unethical. Hey, my wife bought that at a yard sale, so she got it in an unethical sale, does that make it ok to sell the same way? Just kidding, Mikek

Reply to
amdx