Which enclosure do I need for this controller?

Hi, I'm a woodworker mainly and don't know half enough about electronics. I'd appreciate some advice on which box to put this motor speed controller into.

The purpose is to vary the speed of my wood router which is fitted onto a table.

This is one of the boxes available on the same site but I don't know if it's suitable.

2 of the main things I'm puzzling over are: How to fix the board securely into the box ?

As this device is going to be fitted into the power cable of the router, how will the cable will be securely gripped on it's way in and out of the box?

The full range of boxes available on the site are listed here, if anyone will be kind enough to take a look.

Bill Haines

You will probably have to drill some holes in the box and mount the board on stand-ofs, the board seems to have mounting holes. Also drill holes in the box for the cables. There are several ways to secure cables: cable glands, tie-wraps, thingies that clamp the cable and for which I do not know the proper word, a knot in the cable, etc.

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

You're a woodworker, make a wooden one. Resaw a block along the grain, hollow it out, glue it back together with the board inside it. Otherwise, my only advice is to use a plastic (i.e. non-conducting) box.

See the thermostats I made out of wood here:

DJ Delorie

"Strain relief". For the OPs benefit, the idea is to prevent pulling the wires off the board when you lose patience and move the box around by the cord, or move the whole assembly while it's still plugged in.

Standoffs are fairly simple; thickwalled bits of metal tube that you run longish bolts through matching holes in the box, then add nuts/washers/insulators as required. They're available in bags from say Mouser or other electronics supply sellers.

Ya know, there oughta be a generic "How To Fit A Circuit Board Securely Into A Box" FAQ someplace...

The OP could try taking some consumer gear apart to see how the "big boys" do it. The molded plastic board supports you typically see are equivalent to the do-it-yourself standoffs.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

Probably not. Looking at the controller, I see a large heat sink - that needs air flow to cool the SCR or TRIAC. I'd look for a metal box with holes in the bottom and louvers in the sides, (louvers in hopes of not turning into a dust-catcher box) and with electrical-knock-out-sized holes, so you can use standard household electric wiring techniques.

To secure the unit, mount it on standoffs to the back of the box.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

non-conductive stand-offs might be a good idea.. really it depends on the board and the board.

cord gripping grommets. or cord-gripping glands , or a clamping bar. pull apart some junk appliances and look how they do it,

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts