Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

Anybody know of a good source for handheld enclosures to fit a standard 16x2 line backlit LCD display?

Preferably one that also has a 9-volt battery compartment.
Plastic is preferred.  (Metal is also OK)
And preferably one that comes complete with a bezel.

This will be for a generic (temporary-use) handheld-type tester for something that runs on an RS-485 loop.  So, a place to put QTY-(1) RJ-45 type jack would be ideal.

The PCB will be smaller than the display, so anything that you can get a decent grip on will be plenty big.  Environmental is not an issue: Even IP42 would be OK.

These 16x2 displays seem to be all over the place (Arduino projects, Raspberry Pi's, etc..) I'm surprised I'm having any trouble finding an enclosure.

Anyway, if you guys know of some, I'd really appreciate it!
Quantity: Maybe 10 a month.
Thanks!!

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

If you think bigger quantity, like in the millions, can this be ported to Bluetooth  (or IRDA, or USB)
and the 'handheld' item become a cellphone or old Palm device?

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD
 16x2 line backlit LCD display?
 Bluetooth  (or IRDA, or USB)

Then we'd have to write an app, and maintain it every time some new upgrade
 is released.  Nice idea, but "No thanks".  :)

I'm a big fan of IrDA, but a lot of phones don't support it.
And again, that puts us back in a developer's seat, which I'd rather avoid.
  We already have RS-485 on the product.  This is basically a tester for th
e tech who has to install the system (to avoid requiring them to breakout a
 laptop and RS-485 adapter.)  I know... old school,  but it works.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD
On Monday, March 9, 2020 at 4:35:57 PM UTC-4, mpm wrote:

I found these two on Pac-Tec.

I don't think either one of them is the correct size opening, but I can pro
bably make it work?  The volume isn't there to do a full-on build, but mayb
e that's the answer?  I'm still a bit shocked there isn't something out the
re already, given how popular these little 16x2's are with the hobbyists.

https://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid98%&seriesid
55%&classid27%

https://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid95%&seriesid
54%&classid27%

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

--
|_|O|_|
Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

Hammond Manufacturing makes a great assortment of both hand-held and
desktop cases, both plastic and metal. Readily available at the major
and minor suppliers...

http://www.hammondmfg.com/

A nice handheld case is this one:

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/plastic/1553

Aurduino, etc. project cases:

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/development-board

John :-#)#

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

  Nawww...  you want one that handles two 18650s.

  9 volt batteries are so...  Radio Shack, dude.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

At that qty 3d print the box to what ever specs and shape
you need.  Hammond boxes will probably run you north of
$10 each.

--
Chisolm
Texas-American

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

He said ten a month, not ten each.  These days $10 each sounds like
it would be sure to be super cheaply built as well.

  A solid, hobbed out box and seal. Keep the electronics and the
battery safe and dry.  Yeah...  that's the ticket.

  And I think china made 25 for us pretty quick turn and pretty
cheap.  I cannot remember the price. email on a different box.  It
was 5 years ago.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

probably quicker than finding just what you want. Print in ABS & acetone smooth.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

Unprotected 18650 batteries do not have an electronic circuit in the cell packaging.  Because of this, there is always a danger of over heating, short circuiting, or over discharging.  Unprotected batteries are also much lower in price.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

Pactec has some nice enclosures. Bezels are hard to find, unlike 20-30 years ago when LED displays were common. They can be 3D printed, for small quantities. Here is an example with a 9V battery compartment:

https://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid16%3&seriesid62%&classid27%

I have a couple of their TR series.

I also have a couple of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293461593539
86-Plastic-project-box-enclosure-case-for-diy-LCD1602-meter-tester-with-buttN-sc

No battery compartment, but they have a hole in the back  to run wires into them. It shouldn't be too hard to use the two slotted mounting holes to retain a battery cover, and they are cheap, at around $2.50 each.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32949006436.html

rectangular shape, it has an opening for a 1602 display
and below that three moulded buttons. there are keyholes
in the back for wall-mount.  It looks like possilby intended
for an electronic thermostat.

Very cheap but fails most of your other requirements.

IP42 seems ambitious on a device with a battery compartment and an
RJ45, passing IP42 with a 1602 display would mean a window in front of
the display or some sort of verandah.

--
  Jasen.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

Thanks, that's actually rather nice-looking.  (for what it is.)

Plan-B might just be to get some graphic overlays from JRPANEL.COM and just cut a standard box to fit.

Re: Need a handheld enclosure for 16x2 LCD

How about
https://www.okw.com/en/Plastic-enclosures/Hand-Held-Boxes.htm

cheers
Gunther