Help!! Need an enclosure FAST...

Deadline approaching fast. Anybody know where we can get a heat-sink style enclosure similar to a Taka chi EXH ?

Ideally, the EXH14-7-19-BB??

Need overnight. We're in Florida.

Thanks!!

Reply to
mpm

Takachi will no doubt ship by DHL. Properly timed, DHL can get you a package from China or Japan in one day. Without taking special care, I've gotten packages from China on the morning of the 2nd day.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If you are truly desperate, your best bet is to fins and purchase some product that uses a case similar to what you have in mind, dis-assemble it and use its case. 12V to 115Vac inverters come in cases with external heatsink structure.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Do you think those stubby little heat sink bumps help much? I'm thinking they don't.

lunatic fringe electronics

kachi EXH ?

Element 14, also known as Farnell and Newark (in the US) seems to offer this sort of enclosure..

I used their search slot with the string "heat sink enclosure".

Chucking in a few dimensions might narrow the offerings down in a useful wa y.

t%20sink%20enclosure

Multicomp just means that they use a variety of suppliers.

You will have to dig a bit to get exactly what you want, but Farnell does t end to offer rapid delivery, so it might be worth the effort.

--
Bill Sloman
Reply to

Almost certainly not. They're too shallow and narrow for much chimney effect, and they're oriented the wrong way. The fins are thicker, and so will help conduct heat down the long axis of the box, but not as well as if the fins weren't cut into it.

They may be useless, but they sure are hard to clean. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If there's a PCB inside, the bad path will be from board to box inside, with still air and no convection and a small PCB surface area with hot spots.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yup, a familiar problem. You can get 5 W/m/K gap pads now though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No doubt it's just for looks.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winner, Winner. Chicken Dinner !! :)

Reply to
mpm

Did you notice that the fins have a wavy surface. quoting, "Waved surface heat-sink fins for maximum cooling performance!

? Each heat-sink fin has a waved surface construction for maximum cooling performance."

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Racing stripes? Pokemon stickers?

lunatic fringe electronics

That's basic heat dissipation failure techniques 101. Seagate used it to good (bad?) effect with their FreeAgent external hard drives to ensure early failure, even going to the extreme of doctoring the spin down power saving mode into an immutable 10 minute spin down in their "Specials", thoughtfully denoted by the use, appropriately enough, of the suffix letter "S" in the drive model numbers.

I think John Larkin's ex-intern (or someone equally clueless) must have landed himself a job with Seagate's external drive storage division... seriously!

--
Johnny B Good
Reply to

kachi EXH ?

Find a high-end auto audio place, and buy an amplifier with the approximate ly right size? No need to wait for overnight.

Reply to
whit3rd

Auto sub-woofer amplifiers too

Reply to
Clifford Heath

kachi EXH ?

Many times asking this group a simple question is like asking Statler and W aldorf. I hope you find something. I've not seen any product this interes ting for heat dissipation. Why is it you can't buy it from Takachi?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
R Collins

I'm always happy to spread incompetence throughout the rest of the industry.

lunatic fringe electronics

Having a more or less inexhaustible supply conveniently to hand. Designed any special purpose transformers recently?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Waldorf. I hope you find something. I've not seen any product this inter esting for heat dissipation. Why is it you can't buy it from Takachi? ...

Takachi is located in Japan, and purchasing said there was some sort of nat ional holiday. So, we won't know until tomorrow (maybe?) whether they even have these in stock. And the clock is still ticking...., and they still h ave to get here.

I've looked around quite a bit (domestically) and really haven't found anyt hing that looks quite as nice as these Takachi boxes, short of rolling some thing custom that we just don't have time for. (And if you think that's ba d, I haven't mentioned the stress getting the box internals done!)

R&D might have to initiate a new policy of NO NEW DESIGNS (or re-work) for upcoming trade shows. Period. (Note: Will never happen.)

Reply to
mpm

You are a mind-reader. :)

This build will have 14 watts to dissipate (min). Do-able, but not trivial.

Of course, the boss mentioned today he'd like the higher-power board installed. It never ends....

Reply to
mpm