Which component is this?

Please, could you help me identifiying which component is the transparent cover one shown here:

Thanks a lot. Luca

Reply to
Luca

seems be inductor.

jim dorey

Looks like a 1000pF polystyrene capacitor.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

transparent

Exactly. The H is the tolerance, and I believe it's 2 percent.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Could be one of those thermal fuses like in a hair blower.

Reply to
Wayne

Yes, and you have to watch for hairline cracks in old polystyrene caps.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Typical polystyrene capacitor.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks a lot.

So, to sum up, it is a 1000pF polystyrene capacito at 33 volts and 2% tolerance. Is it ok?

How could I fine some at an on-line store? I mean 50 or 100 could be ok. Thanks Luca

Reply to
Luca

I don't believe anyone said it was 33 volts. The voltage is not important as long as it's above the supply voltage. You will probably have a hard time finding a 1000 pF, 2% polystyrene at any voltage, because that's a close tolerance. So if it's a 100 volt or 250 volt or whatever, use it as long as it's above the supply voltage.

Mouser and Digi-key are two online distributors.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover""

Are you saying it doesn't matter the voltage? I mean, this capacitor was put in series with other resistors in a hi-end interconnect cable connecting the screen to the center conductor (the screen appeared to be also connected to the outer conductor). Do you think the voltage of the capacitor doesn't matter at all? Thanks Luca

Reply to
Luca

Yep, so he says. And he is completely right. As long as the capacitor can handle the voltage, it is not really interesting how much more voltage it can handle... kinda like wire insulation. If you need insulation that can take 12V, you don't bloody care if it can take 100V, since that means it takes 12 fine...

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vidar_L=F8kken?

Well, you were extremely clear. Thanks a lot. Just one question more. Someone says we are talking about 33pf and someone about 1000pf aka .001uf aka1 nf. Which version do you suggest? The 33pf or the 1000pf one? Thanks

Reply to
Luca

The one that is correct... Look up in the schema.

But, a capacitor that can handle higher voltage, is physically bigger, so check if it fits your application

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vidar_L=F8kken?

probably

or

hi-end

screen

Higher voltage gives more safety margin. As long as it will fit in the same space, use it.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

capacitor

100V,

.001uf

We thought we made that abundantly clear to you. The 102 stands for 10 with two zeroes after it. That's 1000 pF AKA .001 uF AKA 1nF. the H stands for 2 percent. Wherever you got the other 33pF crap, forget it.

It's time for you to quit asking questions and get your butt out the door and hunt one of them down. Go to it.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th