What is important to look in OPTOEMITTERS?

Hi, I am doing a school project (not electronic project) and I want to know how people buy OPTOEMITTERS. Can you tell me the 5 most important attributes when you buy it? Or if you can, please help me to rank these attributes below in order.

Model Soldering Temperature (Iron) Soldering Temperature (Flow) Collector Emitter Voltage Emitter Collector Voltage Power Dissipation Peak Sensitivity Reception Angle Collector Emitter Dark Current On-State Collector Current Min On-State Collector Current Max Saturation Voltage Rise Time Fall Time Light Current Slope Knee Point Package/Case Mounting Type

Thanks.

Reply to
quanghoc

Normally, I'd imagine, that the application determines the ordering and other entries showing up not mentioned above.

Is this supposed to be a business/marketing project you get graded on?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

This is an entrepreneur project, no grading... I just try to get a clear idea of the industry although I have no idea in electronics.

I agree that it is really up to the application. But if anyone goes on a web site, what do they rather want to see on the search result?

Thanks.

Reply to
quanghoc

As noted, it depends on the application, but the soldering temperatures are highly unlikely to be important for an initial search

- note that RoHS compliance may _well_ be, though. Soldering temperatures are **expected** to be compatible with existing technologies (non-RoHS and RoHS are different) and should not need to be displayed on the primary results page.

Most engineers would be looking _first_ at the opto specs, although the package type could easily be _part_ of the search as we may have decided we need a surface mount (or through hole) part in the application.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

You write opto emitters, yet describe opto detectors in the specifications. What did you want it for?

default

"optoemitter" is an extremely broad cagegory, covering everything from a campfire to an incandescent bulb to a LED to an excimer laser to a thermonuclear detonation.

Can you be any more specific?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I am sorry for the confusion. Let me repost the attribute & product

Infrared LED

------------------

Forward Voltage Forward Current LED Emitting Color Reverse Voltage Terminal Type Viewing Angle Rise Time Fall Time Package/Case Mounting Type

Rich Grise wrote:

Reply to
quanghoc

Well, that is an emitter and those are emitter specs. Now for what is important . . .

YOUR APPLICATION. That will determine the rise/fall time that is acceptable and viewing angle, color - dependant on sensitivity of the detector, most of the other specs irrrelavant . . . you left out power output which may count for something.

That part looks like it was optomized for surface/subsurface mounting into a hole in a circuit board. 150 milliwatts is about average or a smidgen higher than ordinary epoxy leds. You'd probably pay extra for that case/mounting, so presumably that is important to you. Tiny size, good output power, rise/fall times don't look like anything to brag about.

default

I didn't see an attribute for Power Output in the spec sheet. Where to I find the value of Power Output? It just said something like "high power output". Is it all we want to know?

Thanks

default wrote:

News==----

Newsgroups

Reply to
quanghoc

apertured radiant incidence - is a description of the average radient power output in milliwatts per square centimeter. (IR LEDs aren't specified in millicandellas or other visible quantification)

The techinique averages the light output over a specified area perpendicular to mechanical axis of the lens and a short distance from it. Power is averaged because it isn't necessarily consitant over the whole area - from one emitter to the next.

You'd also want to know the size of the aperture and distance of the measurement - a typical spec might be aperture of 2 mm at a distance of 15 mm. The data sheet you linked to may be part of a data book where the measurement techiques are spelled out in some greater detail

- like the actual schematic for the circuit used to measure rise and fall times.

default

last time I made such a purchasing decision it was the following (parenthesis are attributes not from your list)

Mounting Type (output) Package/Case Power Dissipation (price)

I went with a 40W incandescent with a BC mount :)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen