Test coaxial cable

Is there a way to test an in place coaxial cable ?

It provides cable service to 3 different points and some of the channels at one point are fuzzy.

thanks.

Reply to
Mint

You need better quality cable, or maybe an amplifier/splitter, and 3 separate feeder cables(also of higher quality.).

Also first check the quality of the current tap points, if the the cable impedance at those points is mismatched, your signal for the upstream points will degrade.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Odds are that the splitter or the branch cable that serves that point is defective. inspect it, test the output of the splitter, and start replacing bits unless the bill will be enough to justify using a TDR other expensive tool.

probably something has leaked into, bitten into, crushed or otherwise mangled the coax.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

The most obvious answer here is to call the guy. If it's your own installation, do you have access to both ends of the cable? Can you borrow or rent or even buy a TDR or network analyzer or both?

(but, since you're a googlie, I don't expect you to see any of the answers that get posted here.)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I disconnected the coax cable and reconnected it.

Now all the channels are clear.

Maybe some corrosion had developed over time.

Andy

Reply to
Mint

I disconnected the coax cable and reconnected it.

Now all the channels are clear.

Maybe some corrosion had developed over time.

Andy

Just a note: Some of the cable companies are switching up to higher frequencies, keep an eye on your splitter and distribution amp ratings.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

--
Why not?

This isn't a binaries group, it's seb.
Reply to
John Fields

I've just seen too many people posting from google and never being heard from again.

Mint, I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

But, how are you doing on your cable thingie?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise