Problem With Coaxial Cable For FM Antenna

I just bought a JVC receiver (model RX-5060B) and I have run into a problem with the coaxial cable (RG-59) that I have for connecting the FM antenna to the FM antenna port on the receiver. (I was using this cable with the old receiver.)

The cable that I have is of type RG-59. The connector (type F) is too small to slide on the antenna port located in the rear side of the receiver. I understand that nowadays coaxial cable is of type RG-6 and that might explain why I cannot plug my coaxial cable into the port of the receiver as I was told that the RG-6 connector is bigger than the RG-59.

I don't think that buying an RG-6 coaxial cable will solve my problem because then the connector on one end of the cable would not screw into the plug on the wall. (The house I live in is rather old and has an old-style wall plug for coaxial cable.)

Is there some sort of RG-59 to RG-6 adapter that I can purchase? I am completely a novice with this kind of things and I sure need some help.

Thanks.

--
tb
Reply to

That's not the problem. An F connector is an F connector -- they don't vary according to the size of the cable to which they're attached. Perhaps the receiver doesn't have an F connector for input. The manual should say.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

I can't see it well enough on the picture I was able to find to say what sort of connector that is, but it doesn't look like an F connector. It looks more like a BNC.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Thanks for your reply. The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75 ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

--
tb

on 12/25/2007 10:58 PM CJT wrote the following:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tiziano

It never has been the standard for FM radios - only satellite stuff. it has 'graduated' to others, though.

FM radio 'standard' if there ever was one was Belling Lee for 75 ohm unbalanced and either screws or those strange balanced plugs for 300 ohm twin ribbon balanced feeder.

In the UK F-type started appearing on radio tuners for DAB Band III and some use it for Band I FM too now.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more
memory.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I looked at the PDF manual from the JVC website. The connector looks like the standard antenna connector we use in the UK for terrestrial TV and FM. I am not sure what its proper name is. However, I believe this adapter is what you need to connect your cable to the receiver.

Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

I don't know the proper name either, but it is a DIN standard connector.

The people who operated "220" shops in New York in the 1980's called it a "PAL" connector because it was used by PAL TV sets and the name has stuck. When people refer to them as PAL connectors, I refer to "F" connectors as "NTSC" connectors when answering them. :-)

Universal Radio sells them and at one time Radio Shack sold adaptors to F connectors.

I don't know where the original poster is, but radios with those connectors are not intended to be sold in the U.S. They may have a different voltage power supply, different tuning steps and a different pre-emphasis to fit European standards.

If the radio was destined for Europe, it will have 9kHz tuning steps instead of 10 on AM (which may be adjustable), and 100kHz tuning steps on FM instead of 200kHz on odd multiples, which should not be a problem.

It will also have the European pre-emphasis standard which may make U.S. FM broadcasts seem slightly "dull". (lacking high frequency response).

If you have a friend/relative coming to Israel in the near future, you can get the plugs (note that there are male and female) and adaptors to "F" connectors in any Home Center. I expect you can get them in similar stores throught the U.K. and Europe too.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

With no hint where in the world you're located, this may or may not be helpful but, as Dave Plowman noted, the connector may be a Belling-Lee style. In the US, Radio Shack carries adapters for F to Belling-Lee under parts 278-261 and 278-265, depending on the gender required.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

It pre-dates DIN standards for this sort of thing.

It long pre-dates PAL too.

It's correct name is a Belling Lee after the maker (rather like an RCA plug is so named in the US) and here's how they are fitted:-

Some FM tuners sold in the UK are switchable to the US standards.

The most common Belling Lee connector is a line plug. There is a female version used as an output from VHS recorders etc for daisy chaining the aerial.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I live in the USA. Today I went to Fry's Electronics and they sold me what they call a Quick Push-On "F" Connector. On the back of the package it states:

To convert standard screw-on "F" connectors into quick push-on F connectors.

It seems to work just fine. I had never heard of Quick Push-On "F" Connectors before... Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

--
tb

on 12/26/2007 10:01 AM Rich Webb wrote the following:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tiziano

RG-59.

Thats a PAL connector, F type will never fit. Go to Radio shack for an adapter. And a pox on JVC for making us do so. If its sold in the USA, it should have common USA style connections! Dammit! I just bought the JVC RX-D302B. Same connector.

HTH! Deke

Reply to
Deke

Well the push on F-Connector is the same as a standard F-Connector with the exception that it doesn't have threads. It is just designed to make it easier to connect and disconnect F-Connectors. They are interchangeable with standard F-Connectors, it is not a different type of connector. I'm guessing that the threads got buggered up and the standard connector couldn't thread on, where as the slide on one could.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I have found the following with those connectors in Canada:

- JVC CD Minisystem (FS-H35)

- RCA DVD Home Theater Receiver (RTDVD1)

- Cheapo Curits 5" B/W TV Set (This at least came with an adapter to

300ohm screw terminals).

All of this is North American (Radios are 10kHZ AM spacing, odd FM frequencies, TV is 60Hz with VHFL, VHFH and UHF bands with North American channel numbers).

Push on F connectors (available at the Dollar Store) seem to mate well.

Reply to
Shawn D'Alimonte

This looks like it would work-->

from 110220volts.com