Newbie: tips on how to start?

Care to give a citation for that definition? A forum is simply a (place for) public discussion.

Reply to
krw

Lots of grouchy old men flaming each other; hardly any electronics.

This is a pretty good group for newbies, though.
Reply to
John Fields

The two aren't mutually exclusive; in fact, the latter is a subset of the former.

The word "forum" has been around far longer than the internet, or computers, or even electricity. It refers to any "place" which exists for discussion.

On the internet, that includes newsgroups, mailing lists, and IRC channels, as well as Web-based fora (or "forums" for people who don't believe in etymology).

Reply to
Nobody

I have rarely ever been where it was difficult to get AC for a regular saw, so by the time I needed one again, the batteries would be bad.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A short cord is easier to get in your way. You need the cord behind you as you cut, so you can pull it behind the saw. I've seen a lot of people run it the other direction, and cut it.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Come on, John. It's what they're best at. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Street corners have very poor bandwidth, or data retention. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So is life.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

than

It's not usually difficult to get AC for my cordless drills, either. It's very convenient that I don't have to, though. OTOH, cordless saws are more marginal, but the later models are still useful. Like I said, I use mine to cut down sheet goods, though I just bought a more precise (corded) saw for this purpose.

Many times the getting an extension cord out and putting it away is more hassle than the rest of the "project" (e.g. hanging pictures or curtain rods). Cordless tools are great for these small "projects".

Reply to
krw

The only cord I've cut recently was on my router. I cut it as I was putting the router down after a cut. I don't even think it was spinning when I sliced the cord, though that didn't stop it from sparking. :-/

I thought the cord had a special molded strain relief so I ordered the exact replacement. Turns out that the strain relief just slipped over an ordinary line cord; a $35 lesson.

Reply to
krw

The Usenet has a lot of bandwidth, but no information to retain. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have 100' extension cords hanging on the walls of the shops, right next to the doors. I leave them plugged in, and just lift off the number of loops I need. They are about 5' per loop so it's easy to see what I need. I generally use the cordless drills to work on computers, and the regular drills for most other work. Like the 1/2" hammer drill with a 1" masonry bit. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have been able to remove some molded on strain reliefs by cutting off the wire and pulling it out of the jacket, then rolling the strain relief across the bench while pressing down. Generally, if you can break a small area loose, a few drops of water or alcohol will seep intp the cracks and allow you to seperate the rest of the jacket.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

for)

Maybe, but no one archives all of the forums. :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The only corded drill I own is a 1/2" hammer drill. I have ten cordless ones, though.

Reply to
krw

for)

Not even the Greek ones.

Reply to
krw

One for every room in the house?

Reply to
JW

They accumulate. ;-) Actually, I included both driver/drills.

9.6/12V Makita (old, but it still works) 9.6V Makita right angle (batteries for above) 14.4V PC - Still works but I killed one set of batteries 18V Dewalt 12V Dewalt - wanted something lighter 18V Dewalt compact - was cheaper than the batteries that came with it 12V Bosch Impactor - Impact driver 12V Bosch Driver - freebie with Impactor (not terribly useful) 12V Bosch Drill - so impressed with the Impactor that I bought its brother 18V(2) Harbor Freight - borrowing bait (absolute junk) If I didn't have any I'd buy at least four of them today.
Reply to
krw

for)

They are too busy, getting drunk.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(place for)

...and having their way with DimBulb.