[Newbie] Supplying power to a project

I one of those folks who knows enough to be dangerous. I have a good grasp of a lot of basics, but I'm missing a fundamental piece that's really important for a project I'm doing. I've built a nice little FM transmitter kit which I'm putting in a nice

wooden case which will have an iPod dock on it. The transmitter works great. It runs best on 12V.

The iPod will charge at 12V. This, of course, could be a really nice way to both be broadcasting and charging at the same time. That's my intention.

I see the iPod will take 12V on the firewire power connectors, and it says "1A Max".

The basic piece of information I'm missing is: I want to supply ample power to the iPod and transmitter. Do I need to worry about supplying too many amps? Is amps just a measure of what the device will draw and/or use? And how can I know how many amps the transmitter is using?

And I ask all this fearfully, knowing that I may not even be asking the

question correctly.

Can anyone help me understand this, or point me to someplace I can figure this out?

Thanks much!

P.S. I already have some nice links to simple voltage regulators to help know I'm getting the right voltage there.

Reply to
kpmartin

w2aew