[Newbie] Suitable FPGA for my project

Hi all. I'm a total newbie to FPGA programming, therefore I'm looking for suggestions. In my project I have the following specs (these are only the critical ones, the whole project consists of additional blocks):

- 384 Mbit/s input bitrate

- 64-point FFT block, complex numbers with 16 bit fixed-point precision for each real number, the calculation must be performed in less than

1us

- 80 Ms/s output symbol rate Do you think it can be easily implemented on an FPGA? If yes, can you address me to some FPGA model? (At least, I would like to know the price range) If not, what is the critical part?

Ciao, Franco Tiratore

Reply to
Franco Tiratore

Franco Tiratore schrieb:

Hmm.

Easy is a relative term. I you have the expirience, its rather easy. Are YOU sure you want to strart with such a project?

A Spartan-3 should do the job.

100 bucks for an evaluation board.

Depends on your abilities. 384 Mbit/s on a single lane could be a problem if you dont know what you are doing.

I dont know about the FFT, but 64 point in 1 us sounds quite fast.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Servus, Falk!

Falk Brunner ha scritto:

:o)

These are the main specs of the final project, which will take a lot of time for the complete development (more than one year for sure). At the beginning I will start with a scaled down version of the same project, anyway since we still have to buy the board we want one that can fit the final specs. So don't worry about my inexperience... :o)

Really so cheap? Sounds great! I will investigate immediately!

Do you mean... transmission lines issues?

shouldn't be a critical point...

Gruesse, Franco

Reply to
Franco Tiratore

Franco Tiratore schrieb:

Hello,

Yes. You need a good connection with appropiate termination from your signal source to the FPGA. Coax cable or impedance matched PCB trace. Ribbon may work too, if used properly (as always ;-). Also clocking might bite you. Whats the source? Is there a clock signal availabe to the datastream?

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

There are some RF and EM experts in our group, what we are missing is FPGA/digital design/VHDL expertise... At the beginning we will work with a randomly-generated bit stream... Or at least we can use a waveform generator... Can you suggest me... how can we generate such a clock? (Considering for example the Spartan3 board).

And another point... Can you address me to some board vendor who can ship to Europe that "evaluation board"? Some link? Considering the low cost of the Spartan 3 evaluation board, I think I can risk to buy it for my personal use, at least I will use it for educational purposes even if it will not fit the final project... But what are the differences between the evaluation board and the standard one?

Gruesse, Franco

Reply to
Franco Tiratore

Franco Tiratore schrieb:

Use a crystal clock (30...100 MHz) to feed the FPGA, use a DCM to multiply the clock to the appropriate frequency/2, lets say 160 MHz.

Use a second DCM to phase shift this clock by 90 degree. Wiht the normal (not phase shifted clock) generate your bit pattern and push is out of the FPGA using DDR flipflops. The phase shifted clock is used to generate the clock signal for the datastream with centered transitions relative to the data.

Read alot of Xilinx datasheets and application notes. The provide tons of very valueable informations.

What do you mean by standard one? A evaluation board contains the FPGA and some peripherials like RAM, RS232, LED, LCD, FLASH, Ethernet (depending on the board) and connectors. Its read to use. Just download the right bitfile and you are done.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Franco

If you want a European supplier have a look at our range here . For a very low cost board our Raggedstone1 RS1-400 is GBP£ 50 approx 75 Euro plus VAT if it applies. These boards also have the capability to be built into arrays and can either operate in a PCI slot or stand alone (with adaptor) on the bench.

If your DSP function is intensive I would consider moving upmarket to a Virtex-4 based board. They have much more memory and faster and more multipliers.

Reply to
John Adair

. For a very low cost board our Raggedstone1 RS1-400 is GBP£ 50 approx 75 Euro plus VAT if it applies. These boards also have the capability to be built into arrays and can either operate in a PCI slot or stand alone (with adaptor) on the bench.

Virtex-4 based board. They have much more memory and faster and more multipliers.

John--

You really need to cut down on your line lengths.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave
[...]