Difference between a normal invertor and a hex invertor?

I'm writing a short introduction to how an hex invertor works, and wondered what the difference between a hex invertor and a invertor was, if any? There's lots of references to hex invertors, but I can't seem to see anything about an invertor, or is it just a shortened name?

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben

A hex inverter just means there are six inverters in one package. See. for example:

Greg Neill

The hex inverter was first used in Salem to remove spells cast on students that didn't read the books before writing their reports.

Reply to
BobG

"Ben" schreef in bericht news:4446669f$0$5005$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Maybe you have to read Harry Potter? Hex inverters are bewitched normal ones :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Real useful, Petrus. If you don't know, or don't want to give, a useful answer, why bother responding at all?

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

An inverter is just that - ONE inverter. It's rather unusual to find such a beast these days, though, since multiple inverters are commonly used in any given circuit.

A hex inverter is six (hence the "hex") inverters stuffed into one package, each one of them operating independent of the other five in the package, but all of them sharing common power and ground connections.

Think of it as being about the same as buying "a beer" or "a six-pack of beer". Sort of a "convenience pack".

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

And nobody mentioned that the other inverter in the O.P.'s question might be a DC to AC power inverter....tisk tisk.

Reply to
Lord Garth

At least in my experience over the past five years or so, single gate ICs (the little SOT23-5 and smaller derivatives, e.g., 7CS04) are *more* common than finding a 74xx04 on a PCB... the single gate ICs are used where some really simply logic is needed, whereas anything that starts to require more than a couple ends up in a (C)PLD or FPGA.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

What I want to know is what is an "invertor". Is it a person who inverts, or uses an inverter?

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

might

One type is a logic gate that provides the NOT function while the other takes low voltage DC as an input and produces high voltage AC as an output.

Reply to
Lord Garth

No, those are both inverters to my knowledge.

Looks like "invertor" is "the muscle which turns the feet inward". Perhaps hexapeds (if that's the correct way to put it; "six-legged") would have hex invertors, then.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I disagree with your position completely. A rousing round of Bait the Lazy Student is always appreciated. It's so much more amusing than simply saying "Pay attention in class and do your own homework".

Reply to
JeffM