How does a Metal Film resistor look different to a Metal Oxide Resistor?

Thanks for your help, folks....

Reply to
royalmp2001

** It is indicated on the box they come in -

you Google Groper f****it .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The difference is under the conformal coating. They might look the same, although many metal oxide resistors are made for higher voltage, and are sometimes larger.

The metal film (or the metal oxide film) is sputtered on the body of the resistor, and then trimmed up to value (laser trimmed or, surprisingly on larger resistors, sometimes by simple abrading) before being coated. The metal itself is an alloy, and the line between metal film and metal oxide film isn't all that definite.

If you're wondering, look at the ohmic value of the resistor you're trying to replace. If it's physically small and high ohms (over 1 meg), it's probably metal oxide. But you choose the resistor based on the ohmic value, the wattage, the tolerance, the drift specs, and the voltage withstand capability. The composition of the resistor metal is what works.

Possibly you might want to offer a more descriptive question, like:

  • Do you know any or all of the above choice parameters?
  • Is this a repair/replacement issue, a design issue, or are you just asking?

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm sure the box you came in was marked "toxic waste"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
_After_ he came in it?

Sorry... I couldn\'t resist. ;)
Reply to
John Fields

One's got slanty eyes ! ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Before, and after! ;-)

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" = ASD f***ed, schizo

** I'm damn sure the box they bury this manic, psychotic CUNT in will be marked "toxic waste".

Reply to
Phil Allison

How did the sex change turn out, and are you making any money from the sailors yet?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida