Help IDing colors on part

Hi guys, I need some help enlarging this picture of a circuit board to ID the resistor running horizontal, just to the left of the indexing hole of the big IC. (labeled R2)

I have tried using MS Paint to enlarge but pixilation makes it unreadable. I'm hoping some has a magic program or even a large monitor that they can use to read the colors. I need the color code to replace the burned resistor.

Thank you, Mikek

The back story; My wife smelled something in the dryer room last Saturday, we traced it to the dryer. It was a burning electronic odor, I located the PCB and found two oozing capacitors, four bad diodes two bad 8.2 volt zeners plus the unknown resistor. I have replaced all but the resistor. If I get the value I'll replace the resistor and hope the 68HC705 microcontroller is still good. If replacing the resistor does not fix it, then it's about $70 for the PCB or an new dryer. Or maybe I can make it work and not have a dryness control setting, I don't use it anyway.

Reply to
amdx

[...]

Its not like on CSI, if there is no data there you can't get it. Even with my poor eyes it looks like 4.7 K (maybe). More importantly, what fried the supply in the first place.

BTW: By today's standards that's not a bad price for the PCB.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Tom Biasi pretended :

As you say Tom if the data aint there you can not make it but I would agree that it looks like 4k7. Picasa Photo Viewer is perhaps a better way to enlarge a picture. I sometimes use it to expand (hi Res) pictures of PCBs to inspect them etc.

Reply to
John G

Unlikely!

4700. Maybe.

John

"amdx"

** What a BIZARRE question !!!!!!!!!!!

The OP has the damn board so how come so he cannot use a magnifier on it ??

If the resistor's colours are still readable, then it is not likely to be burnt out or even far off value - being a little scorched means nothing to a film resistor.

The OP can measure its value easily enough too and has not done so.

WTF ???

Disclaimer:

I know there are resistors that fail and yet look perfect, fusibles for example.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's a 4.7K. See:

For $35, why not just replace it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

P.S. Have you attempted to determine _why_ those relatively unstressed parts failed??

For example, have you checked C3 to see if it's shorted?

If the zeners failed open or the electrolytics were oozing, chances are really rather good the whole thing is toast anyway.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Good find on the price Sphero, Best I found was $60 not including shipping costs.

Oh man, I just I just clicked to enlarge, that is a great picture clearly readable colors.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :-) Mikek Oh, ok Phil I'll give you a response (tough decision though) The resistor has been very hot, the pcb is charred. The colors look like Brown, Brown, Grey and Gold it measures 3.9K. What value is the resistor supposed to be? No cheating, don't look at answers given by people trying help. BTW, why does this piss you off? If it doesn't interest you, why can't you just ignore it?

Reply to
amdx

"amdx"

** Fuck you - you arrogant prick.
** What was all that NOT in your post ???????

Shithead.

** Stupid questions are always a piss me off on usenet.

And YOU are an expert at them.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

able.

Press ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel. Wheee! Magic! Well, at least it's faster than save and load into program and zoom.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

What part of "I need the color code to replace the burned resistor." don't you understand? Now control yourself, don't get pissed. Take your time, pick out some especially nasty, vile words to call me. Please don't recycle the usuals, they have become so old and boring. Thanks, Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

"amdx"

** What arrogant drivel.

Obviously you are severely mentally retarded.

I see you are another f****it radio ham - so that goes without saying.

There was a guy on "aus.electronics" who used the handle "amdx".

He was a complete imbecile too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Left to right at X200, looks like Yellow, Violet, White, Red; at X400, looks like Yellow, Violet, White, Brown; at X800, looks like Yellow, Violet, White, Brown. Too bad i cannot save pixel-enlarged photo as that might be slightly more informative.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My complements on yourself control. A pat on the back for you Phil. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

able.

ed it

't

In Photoshop, averaging the pixel data after maxing the Chroma channel yields the following results:

ffff63 (hex) =3D Yellow bd35c1 (hex) =3D Violet e02d55 (hex) =3D Red

So, 4.7 kOhm

BTW - Did you know that the CTRL+ and CTRL- keys will zoom you in or out (respectively) if using Microsoft Explorer. Ver-8 does anyway, but I think most versions have this feature.

Good luck with the dryer!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

In Photoshop, averaging the pixel data after maxing the Chroma channel yields the following results:

ffff63 (hex) = Yellow bd35c1 (hex) = Violet e02d55 (hex) = Red

So, 4.7 kOhm

BTW - Did you know that the CTRL+ and CTRL- keys will zoom you in or out (respectively) if using Microsoft Explorer. Ver-8 does anyway, but I think most versions have this feature.

Good luck with the dryer!

-mpm

Just in case you and others missed it, Sphero found a great picture of the PCB.

just one click on the picture and it expands to show great detail of the resistor in question. Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

amdx Inscribed thus:

Looks like 4k7 10% 1/2W

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

le.

an

ed

PCB

Yes, 4k7 (just repeating what everybody is saying).

Read this, perhaps it's better to buy another dryer, with better circuit board.

roke-twice-one-week.html

Reply to
linnix

Funny, after reading that, to me, it sounds like a door switch or gas pressure switch..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie