Help IDing colors on part

Yes, 4k7 (just repeating what everybody is saying).

Read this, perhaps it's better to buy another dryer, with better circuit board.

Maybe? This one is all electric, it lasted 8 years. So far I $1.24 in parts plus $4.50 shipping, I ordered some other parts too. I'll find a resistor in my junk box, if it fixes it great, if not then I'll have to decide if I want to spend another $43.00 for the new PCB or get a new dryer. I'm tempted to replace the PCB. If I could get three more years out of the dryer, I think I'd be ahead. I could get a lot more, one more year and the last kid will be out. Then it's just

3 loads a week, maybe 1.5 hours run time. As you know, "Predictions are difficult, especially about the future!"

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

" As you know, "Predictions are difficult, especially about the future!"

Mikek

One of my favorite Yogi-isms.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Reply to
amdx

I get great joy from Yogi-isms also! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

They actually make sense when taken in context.

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it!", describing the way to get to his house (the road was a loop).

Reply to
krw

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

Reply to
John KD5YI

"Nobody hardly ever goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Reply to
John KD5YI

Describing one of the dives the team no longer frequented (because there were too many others).

Reply to
krw

"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

"If people don't want to come out to the ball park, nobody's gonna stop 'em."

"I never said most of the things I said."

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

The repair is not complete #@$^. I replaced the resistor and reinstalled the PCB, I monitored the voltage across the 4.7K and had 94 volts. That calculates to 1.9 watts, the original resistor is no larger than a 1 watt, if that. I don't measure any more other defective parts. B+ is derived from the 120 volt line thru a series 3.3uf cap and a 33 ohm resistor and then rectified and zenered down to 5.1 volts. I lifted Vdd and Vcc from the microprocessor and still had the large voltage on the 4.7K. All diodes and zeners I replaced still test ok, one of the caps got warm, I suspect the applied voltage was too high. I don't hold out much chance of finding a schematic for the PCB. I'm going to order the board, although I'm a bit uncomfortable that it may be something external to the PCB. Thanks for the help, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

99

it

he

he

CB.

ar

=A0Mikek

talled

s,

the

rm, I

may

Yes, poor and dangerous design. Too cheap to put in a step-down transformer.

Reply to
linnix

The man was a genius!

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

If you want more interpretations, read the book. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That is more like it..no apparent white "band" where one does not belong.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Ah, one of those 2W 4k7 resistors that people tend to plonk in without enough copper underneath to take the heat away, also not raised from the PCB.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

That white or pink looking band seems to be an artifact from the jpeg compression. Notice how it doesn't fit with the spacing of the other bands. In the easyapplianceparts images the bands are a little over 1 pixel wide. jpeg will often mangle pixel scale detail.

have you tried pressing printscreen?

It turns out the actual part is yellow violet red 4700 not 470 like it looks in that photo.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

I'm still amazed at that picture I'm using Firefox, I can use CTL + and expand that until the resistor is 1/4 of the width of my screen and still no pixelation. Is that just because they started with a high pixel count camera? VS. the other sites where the colors were not identifiable when expanded. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Almost all modern browsers interpolate up from the raw image which in this case happens to be 400x300 pixels. The original image has about 3 pixels across the IC pins and you are lucky that it has 2 pixels on the resistor bands you wanted and synchronous with the colour subsampling.

The "W" of Taiwan and the barcode at at the resolution limit.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Nah, just a software trick called interpolation, FF uses some arithmetic to figure out what would go well at the in-between coordinates.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

ed it

If you think the zeners, resistors, and capacitors just all happened to "go bad at the same time" and were the cause of the failure, you'll be surprised when you replace them all and they all burn up again.

I too am not happy when it's time to replace the twenty-year old timer in the washer or drier, but $70 for a spare part to keep the appliance running another couple decades doesn't seem so bad.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa