JVC VHS hrs5500 power supply help needed

Hi

Would like to fix two JVC switching power supplies...

Both have the same problem. Supply starts and switches OK but some voltages are missing or fail under load.

The supplies are of the big old JVC type in the back right of the VCR which consists of two boards with the connections and maybe fault on the left (secondary) side.

Symptoms :

VCR loads casette but FF or REW stop after a few seconds. Drum does not start, sometimes it does but power button flickers and capstan does not start. Most of the time the record level meters fail or flicker.

Have replaced the brown 105C electrolytics without sucess, have changed whole power supply with one of a good svhs... former dead one works, so fault is definitely in the power supply.

Have no schematics but two of them with exact same fault so believe it is a known fault.

Would be very pleased to have help and or schematics

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year Michael from Austria

Reply to
gasper

You're missing one or more caps. Don't know your model, but many JVC's had bad 120uF at 6.3 volts caps bad, along the lower edge of the power supply board. I just replace them with 100's or 220's, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thank you mark,

I have often heard and researched the solution with the bad 120uf 6.3V Cap.....

Unfortunately this must refer to a newer generation of JVC VCR,s , I believe the VCR,s with the generation 15 drives and the funny loose tape guides....

But mine are all generation 12, the 3 motor drives with the old two pcb power supply in the right corner. The pcb has partnumber 10166 regulator pwb and switching pwb

Model Numbers are HRD 950 or HRS 5500 which use this kind of supply.

Of course I could try to replace all electrolytics but I even tried to replace all 105C types in the secondary without sucess and I have problems to get caps which are 105C and fit physically. It seems that the supply fails under load.

Who has experience with this power supplies ? Who can help ?

Thankyou Michael

"Mark D. Zacharias" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E4Rrf.5667$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
gasper