Hakko FX888D-23BY

  I think this is an updated Hakko soldering station. Does anyone have
it and have they cheapened anything to make it not desirable?

  Hakko FX888D-23BY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Soldering-Station-with-T18-S3-D32-D24-D12-D08-Tips-NEW-PZ3-/131595594712?hash=item1ea3b56bd8:g:ATcAAOSwqu9VAcaX

                                             Mikek

Re: Hakko FX888D-23BY
Yes. The temperature adjustment is terribly confusing.  Protip: hold the
right button to change temp.  Left button is calibration or something.
(Why you'd ever want to change cal, from the front panel, with no lockout
key, with a process as easy and as forgettable as the correct action, I
have no freaking clue.)

I have an analog one (possibly one of the last sold, before they took the
'D'... entendre intended), and like it better than the WESD-51 (which by
the way, still has a dial -- an encoder, anyway).  I think I would
recommend a WESD over the -888D, though.

If you aren't soldering a lot of different size things that necessitate a
change in temperature, it's still a fine tool though.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Hakko FX888D-23BY

    I received my Hakko FX-888D today.
Yes, it is computer controlled and not intuitive, But,
I found the website videos and got it setup.
I like it. It has 5 presets for temperature, but you need to enter the
menu to set it up to use them. Once set, it's great, but enabling the
presets is not in the manual, you need to watch the videos.

                                        Mikek

btw, the default temp is 750*F. What temperature do you guys run your
irons at?
750* seems high to me.

Re: Hakko FX888D-23BY

For Pb, 650F is good, with occasional use at higher temps for beefy things.
Remember to turn it back down.

750 is probably good for Pb free.

Tim

--