Good source

What would be a good book to read and or a good site to go to to learn the basics of electronics all the way up to the designing of circuits? Preferable in a little more down to earth way of talking about it. Thanks in advance.

--
If you\'re not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space. ? Ted
Valliere

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don\'t ever count on having both
at once.    RAH
Reply to
John Comma Smith

It has been my experience that some books are great in some areas, and others great in other areas. I would recommend starting out with a book starts out with the concept of matter and energy, which most should. Most books should then go into explaining circuit theory (series/parallel circuits, ohm's law, kirchoff's law, thevenin's equivalency theorem, norton's theorem, etc.). All of this is important in understanding circuits when you're faced with a schematic and need to figure out values at certain points. I would probably stay away from the Navy books since they tend to pack a lot of detail, which has required me to go to another book for an explanation.

I purchased the "Art of Electronics" and should be receiving it in a few days. I'll let you know how that book is, but the general consensus in this group about the book is highly positive.

A visit to your local library would be a good first start.

Hope that helps. Mike

in

both

Reply to
Mike

Ok, kind of what I figured. I get basic electronics, I would just like to read a book to better pound it into my head. Thanks for all the info, Ill check my library tomorrow.

circuits

certain

this

the

Thanks

Ted

Reply to
John Comma Smith

circuits

certain

this

I read somewhere that the info in that book is a little outdated. Is it too outdated to spend $75 on?

the

Thanks

Ted

Reply to
John Comma Smith

The second edition is from 1989. I went into B&N to preview the book before I thought about purchasing it online. The geek that I am, I found the book pretty impressive -- far more impressive than any books I've read thus far. Still haven't received my book yet, though. The publisher of the book has a website for this book:

Sometimes books are rated on their material and how well they cover it. I'm sure the book doesn't cover every aspect of electronics, but I don't know enough about it yet to comment fully. Perhaps someone else in the group can give more advice on the book.

Cheers, Mike

Most

too

having

Reply to
Mike

I like "Art of Electronics" quite a bit.

I also like Bob Pease's book on "Troubleshooting Analog Electronics". It has quite a bit of real life details about components and troubleshooting techniques. I've got the original one. Looks like he's updated it and included the "Electronic Workbench" simulator with it.

before

far.

I'm

can