Driving a LED from an IC

Hello.

I have successfully used a transitor as a switch to drive a LED from an Intel PXA255 CPU, pretty much exactly like this link describes:

I used a BC109 transistor for the job.

The LED's maximum forward current was 20mA, but I now have the need to drive a brighter LED rated at 350mA. Can I use a transistor-based circuit similar to the one above to do this? My electronics knowledge is minimal and the time-frame is short - so I may just be happy with what I've got which is the new LED running at 90mA or thereabouts.

TIA, Nick

Reply to
njsand

I'm not familiar with the Intel PXA255 CPU. (Is it a micro-processor CPU or a microcontroller?) How much drive current can it provide from a pin? For a

350mA load, you could use a 'Darlington' pair, (a high-current transistor driven by a BC548/BC549 or similar), but a small logic-level power MOSFET might be the best answer. I use a 2SK2231 for most things up to a couple of amps, but someting smaller would suffice in this case.

... Humphrey B. Bear

Reply to
Humphrey B. Bear

How bright does the LED have to be?

I know some LEDs that get plenty bright for indicator lamp duty at half a milliamp - one example is Nichia's NSPG520S. Or get a Nichia NSPG500S (10,000 or so mcd green 15 degree 5 mm diameter) (or similar) and sand down the tip about a millimater and re-round the tip with sandpaper if you need a wider viewing angle and need to not buy 100 from a Nichia sales office.

I know some 350 mA LEDs have brightness in the ballpark of 7-watt nightlight bulbs that have reflectors behind them. Like any white, blue-green, green, orange or red part by Lumileds.

Meanwhile, my favorite way to have an IC control an LED is to use a power MOSFET. My favorite MOSFET for "general purpose work" is Zetex ZXMN3A01FCT when input voltage is guaranteed to be less than 10 volts, although this is a small surface mount part. It will switch well over an amp quite comfortably. For higher input voltages (20 volt limit), I like IRFZ14 or the like. If you can still get an IRF511 at Rat Shack, it will work.

Don Klipstein