Cursed

A princess walked into Radio Shack holding a frog. And she said to the sales person, "can you help me with this, my prince got turned into a frog"?

So the salesperson sold her a TTL 7404.

Reply to
Walt Fles

With all due respect, that joke goes back to the 70's. :-)

For you young folk, a TTL 7404 is a HEX Inverter.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

At least somebody from my generation got it.

Reply to
Walt Fles

Yeah, but can they read sanskrit?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I was gonna say,it must be an old joke..RatShak didn't even carry logic gates anymore,the last time I was in there,looking for one. You'd be lucky to find anything *OTHER* than a crappy cellphone or crappy PC in a RS store these days.

Reply to
PhattyMo

The real joke is that someone from Radio Shack even KNEW what a 7404 was.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think I read it in a copy of Popular Electronics or maybe Elementary Electronics. I can still build logic and solve a Karnaugh map 20 years after graduating from college - but heck if I know what goes on in a Northbridge.

Reply to
Walt Fles

Make that at least two.... but it's a boo joke!

Reply to
Lord Garth

You've got questions, they have blank stares (and a cellular to sell you).

Reply to
Lord Garth

You've got questions, they have blank stares (and minds).

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"You've got questions, they've got pimples".

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

It was different in the TRS-80 era. For a while, you could actually buy all of the parts for an 8080-based computer (but not a Z-80, go figure) there, and some of their employees were hardware hackers.

Of course, those were exceptions. I once asked to see the character set of one of their oddball printers (the one that had a steel platen drum with a star-shaped cross section). It was connected to a running computer, so the counterdroid started typing PRINT "ABCD...". I asked him why he didn't just use a FOR loop, and got a blank stare.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

That's *so* true. I have three Rat Shack stores nearby, with apparently only one competent employee between them. "Hookup wire? You mean speaker wire?"

--
Regards,

It\'s time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
Reply to
Doug Miller

They have minds?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Sure, but they come off the same production line as "Dummy Components" They look real, and have real leads, but there is nothing inside the package..

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is nothing better than being a hobbyist and seeing them rip out

25 pair wire. I once had 50 feet of that from a place I worked at, and I stripped it and cut it up and made all my friends in college happy with all this wire they didn't have to pay for!
Reply to
Walt Fles

25 feet? you would have freaked out of 16 feet of brand new 200 pair, or the thousands of feet I've salvaged over the past 40 years. In fact, I have salvaged and reused entire 1A2 key phone systems, both five and ten line, which used 50 pair.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sadly, the metal reclaim depots will not accept insulated wire. The city frowns of people burning off the insulation as well.

Unless you can build a machine that can do the job, it's not economical even with the rise in prices.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Motor driven metal rollers can crush the isolation, leaving bare copper. Some large copiers have nice gear driven roller sets. You only need the right speed motor, and a guide plate with holes for different wire gauges.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

city

Does this work only on the individual wires or could a complete CAT5 cable be run through?

There was a large copy machine by the building dumpster yesterday as luck would have it. I thought of ripping the motor(s) out but didn't get around to it.

When I wired this office I'm sitting in now, I created four five foot high piles of CAT5 that were probably 15 feet in diameter, from the removal of the old wiring. I'm sure it was good money to someone that could strip it.

Reply to
Lord Garth