teenager repellent

"Howard Stapleton's research into noise has more practical applications. He invented teenager repellant.

His device, called the Mosquito, emits a high-frequency, siren-like noise that is painful to the ears of teens and those in their early

20s, but inaudible to adults.

The invention grew out of his 15-year-old daughter's trip to the local store last year to buy milk. She came back empty-handed, having been intimidated by a group of teenage boys loitering outside the store.

Stapleton, who has sold and installed security systems for more than two decades, thought back to when he was 12 years old and he visited his father at work.

"I walked into this room with six people doing ultrasonic welding and immediately ran right back out again the noise was so painful," Stapleton said. "I asked an adult, 'What's that noise?' And he said, 'What noise?' "

Stapleton's company, Compound Security Systems of Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, has sold hundreds of the units to retailers, local governments, police departments and homeowners all over the United Kingdom. The company is shipping its first Mosquito units for sale in the United States next week.

"The success of this has knocked my socks off," Stapleton said."

"...painful to the ears of teens and those in their early 20s, but inaudible to adults." Funny how the author of that article doesn't consider people over the age of 18 to be adults...

But still, a cool invention.

Reply to
mrdarrett

Why not use classical music?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The have, and barry manilow, but that chased the adults away as well

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

No problem have a speaker on low volume tell the pin code is 9-6-3-2. Everyone with decent hearing will type it in and get inside. ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

There won't be any teens who can hear *at all* if they keep cranking up their loud stereo's and fart-can exhaust pipes.

Reply to
PhattyMo

This has been discussed before. As someone said (forgot who did). the best teenager repellant is loud classical music, they can't stand it.

Reply to
linnix

Or light operetta - Rose Marie etc.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I remember a time when my big sister was in the market for a lo-fi. She had the choice of record deck, amplifier and speakers or... some, refurbished, second hand music center. So she bought the music center.

Then she bought the f****ng Barry Manilow record and the f****ng music fuckup center had one of those f****ng shit f****ng record decks on it that would f****ng play the fucker and then f****ng play it afuckingagain and afuckingagain and afuckingagain.

Her name was Lola, She was a Showgirl. But that was Twenty Years Ago, when they used to have a show.....Music and passion was all of the fashion, at the Copa... they fell in love....

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I think I had worms at the time so I might be excluded from the class action.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

If she had turned it up a little more it would have surely cured you of your worm problem.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK..... have some more practice.

Mongle Mongle Mongle Mongle I've got creative worms. Mongle Mongle Mongle Mongle It's a pity you feed them on alcohol. Mongle Mongle Mongle Mongle Michael A. Terrell Central Florida Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it.Member of DAV #85.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

What key is it in?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Bloody artist. (but not in the immediate sense of the phrase)

DNA

Reply to
Genome

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Alcohol? I haven't had any since 1974.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wow! So he has left the building.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Several years ago we had a female co-op who came to me to complain about the high frequency noise from her display. She said she had called the support people but they told her that they "all made some noise". I walked over to her desk and could hear it from about 3 feet away. I called back support and told them if a male in his late 40's could hear it it must be positively painful to a female in her 20's. They sent a 30 something guy over to check it out. He got about 5 feet from it and said "We have to replace that".

Reply to
Dennis

DOOOOOOOooooood! No wonder you're so f****ng cranky all the time!

Sheesh! Go have a drink, and loosen up, for Heaven's sakes! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Heh heh. Wouldn't work on this one though. ;-)

Damn...come to think of it I'm officially not a "teenager" anymore!

Tim

Tim Williams

Isn't 7E-96 (dBm) a little on the low side?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I did not specify a specific level.

Reply to