Bragging on my Kids

I figure if Jim can I can. :-)

I have a daughter that graduated over 3 years ago. Spent two good years at a company, good pay, company vehicle, commission on sales , big bonuses, everyone did their job and got along, as she said "a great family". She was a determined 22 year old running her part. Then the company merged with the other industry leader in the field. Everything changed, micro managing, bonus reduction, etc. Half the people were missing in the next Christmas party pictures. She decided to go back to school and become an Orthodontist. She is in the process of getting 3 terms of classes she will need to get into Dental school. I received an email from her telling me after several interviews she was chosen for a prestigious program and met with the president of the university. Then she added, "I also had a physics exam on Wednesday. Wednesday evening the prof sent out an email saying it was a massacre, (avg was 52, lowest grade was a 9) and that it would be eligible for test corrections for partial credit. Freaking out I checked my grade, I got a 95, highest grade in the class. :)"

Just a proud daddy

Reply to
amdx

Just a proud daddy

My younger daughter went to Cornell and majored in softball and beer pong. I think she got a psychology degree, selected because it involved basically no work.

After graduating, we gave her a job in production, stuffing boards. My PCB layout guy quit, so she wanted to try. Turned out to be the best layout person I ever met. Women seem to be better at this anyhow.

My company business manager is retiring, so The Brat wants to run the company next. I think I'll let her try.

She had a milestone recently: had to fire her first employee. He was awful. Sometimes he'd go outside and smoke, sometimes he'd sleep, sometimes he'd sit at his desk and cry.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yup, looking at a person and saying "You are now a bum" takes something.

Going outside for a smoke is fine, but it shouldn't be pot or crack. (thoug h I had a few jobs where we went out and burned a joint at lunch) But this crying makes me think he had problems, but those are not your problems. You might have sympathy, but he is still fired. And while the sleeping might h ave been a result of insomnia caused by other psychological problems. it is still unacceptable.

A good work ethic is one of the most important things to teach kids. It is a form of honesty, if they are paying you to work and you do not work you a re stealing.

Reply to
jurb6006

But he'd stink up the place when he came back. Yuk. And there was nobody to answer the phone, one of his duties. He was from one of those rent-to-own agencies, which is a good way to evaluate potential hires.

Right. People should leave their personal troubles at home. Everybody is happier if they can.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sounds like he was always a bum.

...or medical problem. Some prescribed drugs will tend to make people fall asleep, too.

Yup. Showing up is the hardest part of a job, for some. The rising minimum wage will make sure this problem gets worse.

Reply to
krw

We find the best way to evaluate potential hires is internships. We also hire a lot of contractors. Often the need for help outstrips management's ability to justify employees, so we hire a lot of contractors and convert the ones who work out later. That's how I started.

There is no need for any more drama at work but it may be something more complicated. In this case, maybe not though.

Reply to
krw

You _should_ be proud! ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

You mentioned some years ago that your daughter's a water chemist in some state or other, Jim. How is she these days?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

She's 51 and department head... City of Phoenix! In reality, all water departments in Central AZ. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Average debt of dental school grads is $200K and orthodontics requires additional postgraduate specialty training. They don't make all that much money later on, it's a suckers game...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ahhh yeah, the welfare water operation ...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's not possible at Cornell, maybe Tulane, but not Cornell.

Sounds like a candidate for the Golden Gate bridge...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Do you know her? Why would you care how she is "these days," lickspittle?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's just a common courtesy - an alien concept to you though, no doubt. Google it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yep, if she get's into a state school $40k a year, private is $48k. What do you consider 'all that much money'? Mikek

PS. Do you have some type of problem going on, your posts in this thread make you seem like more off an asshole than usual.

Reply to
amdx

Impossible!

Reply to
Julian Barnes

If EVERYONE killfiled Bloggs the problem goes away COMPLETELY!

Why do you read Bloggs posts let alone reply to them?

Freedom of speech does not guarantee an audience. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

I got a BSEE at Tulane without doing a lot of work. I had a wife, a house, two jobs, two cars, and three motorcycles to keep me busy. She got a psychology degree from Cornell by doing a lot less. It's a family talent, I guess.

Just another sensitive GenZ soul. They don't have the guts to jump off bridges.

lunatic fringe electronics

Maybe, but it does guarantee an alternative to your simple minded inanity- not to mention b-o-r-i-n-g.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

They have horrendous laboratory fees to pay, textbooks are outta sight thes e days and then there's basic room and board. A lot of these graduates are lucky to find employment unless they move out to the boonies where they mak e hardly median wage, the urban areas have a glut of dentists, set up shop anywhere they can, strip mall offices, and I'm sure they get hit with high insurance and medical grade supply overhead too, and getting dental assista nts is always a headache.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred