what are: universal auto code generators?

hi... in a job advert I find: knowledge of universal auto code generators is recommended...

I tried to google for it, but I'm not sure if what I find is really what the company wants...

so I'll explain here: the company is a big automotive safety systems producer, position is for: automotive embedded software developers

additionally as you can guess english is not my first language, so I'm not sure if this "auto" in "universal auto code generators" is short for "automatic" or "automotive" - could anyone give me some hints?

also - another requirement is: knowledge of product development process for automotive

are there any special (unique) guidelines for the automotive industry?

oh ;-) and please don't tell me that since I need to ask such questions then I'm not qualified enough to apply for that job - they already invited me for an interview...

Reply to
karol kluska

Probably automatic code generation from things like UML front end tools. Usual output is C or C++ although there are sometimes other flavours.

As many aspects of automotive systems development can be considered safety critical and will therefore require a sound development process. The company that hires you should be willing to induce you into their process at joining. Essentially the process will cover specifications through development to manufacture configuration management and the means by which the systems will be reviewed and tested. Well worth reading up on some of this before the interview so you are not completely in the dark about it.

The MISRA C guidelines, which have just entered version 2, will be of interest to you in this respect I suppose. It covers some safer forms of constructuing C programmes. I don't think many are using Ada or SPARK for the software. There is, I know, some Forth around but the only one I know of for sure is in a racing car system.

Congratulations on getting the interview anyway. I am sure that if you seem interested enough in learning the things you don't know right now and have enough of a firm grasp on the basics then you should do well. Just be honest in the interview and they will respect you for it. Best of luck with getting the job.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

:snip:

When I'm interviewing a candidate who's missing some piece of information the _best_ thing that they can do is to wait until I ask the question then say "I don't know that, can you explain?" They will then earn more points by either finding that they _do_ know that information under a different name, or by indicating that they are willing to learn.

If they gave you the interview anyway it means that they know that you don't have those capabilities but they're willing to consider you anyway. This is either because the person writing the requirements was out of sync with the hiring manager, or the company has "boilerplate" requirements they always put in, or that somebody just wasn't thinking (believe me, it happens).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

"karol kluska" wrote

I am assuming that you are in the US although the email address indicates other.

Neither "universal automatic code generator" nor "universal automobile code generator" make any sense on first reading.

I suggest one of the following:

o What they wrote isn't what they meant. Concentrate on the parts that make sense.

o They make a box that sends diagnostic codes to a car's computer and they want it to work with any car. Code in this sense does not mean 'software source code', but a secret/obscure word that gives access - as in 'the spy said the code word'.

There is lots of info on automobile diagnostic codes on the i'net.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Indeed. For example, rule 41 (MISRA V1, I haven't gotten V2 yet) says "The implementation of integer division in the chosen compiler should be determined, documented, and taken into account." Good advice, but hard to check statically.

And of course, rule 29 ("The use of a tag shall agree with its declaration") is completely incomprehensible, so that's somewhat difficult to check as well.

Actually there are several. Googling "static analysis c misra" gets over 17,000 hits, with Programming Research's QA-C tool popping up as the first one. Most of the others advertise, list, or review other tools.

QA-C is, however, uh, somewhat expensive. PC-lint is probably the most cost-effective tool for this task (IMHO, of course).

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Most of them are listed on

If any one knows any others please let me know.

Apologies for the state of the site. I will update is ASAP (wife and kids permitting :-)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Dave Hansen writes

The rules were designed as a good subset of C not as a set of statically analysable rules. (See C1 Rule 4)

PC_Lint is the most cost effective. It also does MISRA-C1 and C2. (and

++) Also being command line it integrates into most IDE's

It is available from

in the US and snipped-for-privacy@iSystem.ltd.uk in the UK

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , karol kluska writes

Think rhapsody

i-logix

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

Don't just cross your fingers!! Send a follow-up letter!!:

How nice it was to meet them! How interesting the company and it's products were! How enjoyable the interview process was! How challenging the test questions were! How you may have done a different solution! How you look forward to being a valuable member of their group and contributing to their growth!

Think of some of your own things to say!

And do it now!

But for gosh sakes, don't just sit by the phone and wait....

Did they tell you how long they will take to decide?

If that time has passed, add that you hadn't heard from them and would like to know what they've decided, and are available for additional interviews, if needed!

I suspect my getting the great job I have now was partly due to follow-up and interest. (I can't prove it though, because I don't have the nerve to ask my boss: Why did you hire me anyway? He may wonder...)

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

yes... they told me they'll contact me within 2 weeks... it's been only 8 days so far... and 2 days ago I've seen the same ad in the paper - so I gather they didn't finishe the recruitment procedure yet...

well - at the first interview I did ask them about the "time-scale" of their "decision making process" - they told me it's the first, but definitely not the last interview, so I guess they know what they're doing trying to select "the right people"...

yes - you're right about one thing - you can't prove it ;-)

but anyway - I think I will send that "follow-up" letter... although it will most likely bounce-back at the first "fire-wall" which is some kind of "blondie" (secretary) knowing nothing about me or my case...

Reply to
karol kluska

... snip ...

Send multiple ones, addressed to the particular people who interviewed you. You did make notes of their names and titles at the time? (or gather their cards).

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

well - I do cite the whole of your post because it's been quite a while and the situation is quite "funny"...

after you posted it I did send the follow-up letter to that company who Attached please find a follow-up letter. Sincerely Yours My_Name

5 minutes ago I got an e-mail from that company saying:

Please send us your Curriculum Vitae.

there was a telephone number and the name of a person to contact - I did call her right away saying that I just got her e-mail asking to send her my CV... she started right away explaining that I only sent her a "Cover Letter" and without sending her my Curriculum Vitae she cannot process my application - I told her that I've already been interviewd by them and this was just a follow-up letter just as the first sentece of it was stating (This is just a follow-up letter to let you know that it was really nice to meet you at the interview on Tuesday 04th of January 2005)... After she realized (I hope) what the case is I asked her whether my follow-up letter can be passed to the person who interviewed me - she just said NO - that was the end of my conversation with her - I said I'll be waiting to hear from them and hang up.

so - now I gather - that person who checks the documents from candidates (receives e-mails) doesn't know what a follow-up letter is

- she obviously doesn't read anything - she just receives e-mails, checks if they include both CV and CL... well... doesn't really matter

- my point is - sending them that FUL was pretty much pointless ;-)

but thanks for your advice anyway...

My_Name PS. Can anybody offer me a job as embedded/DSP engineer? I'm willing to relocate anywhere.

Reply to
karol kluska

"karol kluska" wrote

A follow up letter is written by hand, in ink, on bond paper. It is mailed by USPS to the mail address of the person you interviewed.

_Nobody_ is going to be bothered with your *.pdf named 'FUL'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Nicholas O. Lindan

That's true. For anything to be seen, go regular mail. I guess since being employed I forgot that important detail. Sorry.

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

I think that laser-printed on quality paper is prefectly acceptable.

Or the local equivalent. IIRC, the OP lives on Poland, so mailing something via USPS is rather difficult.

to each person who interviewed you. Remember that they may compare notes, and you get extra points if the follow up letters aren't all identical but contain something pertinent to each of the recipients. :)

Agreed.

If you are going to e-mail a follow-up letter, at least do it in plain text. And make sure you e-mail it directly, and individually to each of the people who interviewed you.

Whether e-mail follow-up is OK depends on the culture and people involved. I'd be fine with getting a nicely written plain text e-mail followup. I would expect it to meet the same standards of composition, grammar, punctuation, and spelling that would be applied to a printed and mailed letter.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Not SENSUOUS... only
                                  at               "FROLICSOME"... and in

hm... well... I assumed - since I e-mailed my CV+CL I should "stick to" that (e-mail) way of communicating with them... but then - what do I know?

Reply to
karol kluska