civil

Why plywood is not used in boats?

Reply to
thiaga.1989

Why is steel not used in cars? Same answer.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

I thought it was ... called marine grade plywood.

Reply to
Charles

I once saw a construction project in Popular Mechanics or something for a whole boat made of plywood.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The famous Higgins Boats of WWII were mostly plywood, as were the PT boats and minesweepers. Nowadays, fiberglass is perferred, because it's easy to blow into molds, and doesn't rot.

John

Exactly. "Marine grade" refers to the really-waterproof, better than "exterior" glue used to laminate it. Plywood can't be formed into a compound curve without resort to steam bending, but you can build a lot of useful hull forms with only flats, conic and cylindrical sections. Hell, some of the world's greatest _aircraft_ have been made of laminated wood. Look up the Mosquito light bomber.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Yeah, but airplanes typically don't sit in the water 24/7. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ummmm...submitted for your consideration, the Hughes HK-1 (H-4), more informally and lovingly known today as the "Spruce Goose." The hull was/is construced primarily of laminated birch.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

As I recall, the Japanese Zero used plywood. Many of them rest in the water eternally, 24/7.

Reply to
Don Bowey

But they're not floating! :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Not my problem.

Reply to
Don Bowey

"Just an old plywood boat, Seventy-five Johnson, electric choke"

The OP's obviously not an Alan Jackson fan :-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse