why sine waves in power lines and why not square wave!

Why are we using sine wave A.C in power transmission lines? Why shouldn't we use Square wave AC instead of Sine?

Reply to
Shashi

Why do you think should we use square waves?

You couldn't afford to pay your electric bill if it was a square wave, because the line and transformer losses would be excessive.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why are you an idiot HABSHI ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

An AC generator, by virtue of its design, produces sine wave voltage. A square wave could be produced from a DC source, but the harmonics would cause extreme losses as well as annoying audible noise. Three phase AC produces constant power, which means the generator will not present a variable load to the driving force, and maximizes efficiency.

Higher frequency AC can be more efficient by reducing sizes of transformers, motors, and other magnetic components, but audible noise becomes even more annoying, and long distance transmission suffers from higher losses. Many long distance HV transmission lines are now DC, converted back and forth from/to AC by means of SCRs, IGBTs, and other solid state devices.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

On 29 Apr 2007 21:31:44 -0700, in message , Shashi scribed:

Because it's the cheapest and easiest way to transmit power, and the second most efficient means.

What would you use to produce the square wave? What would its advantages be for power transmission? What would be the disadvantages?

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist

"Shashi"

** Cos that is what rotating generators / alternators have produced since decades.
** Cos the ratio of RMS to peak value being 0.71 has become so important.

Square wave power that would operate lamps normally would not operate 90% of electronics.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're his role model?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Why are you such an asshole?  This is seb and your abuse is totally
uncalled for.

Transformers and motors would be inefficient and very noisy. Light bulbs would be noisy, too. Power distribution systems would have terrible spike and ringing problems, and capacitor or rotating power-factor correction wouldn't work. The square waves would be hopelessly distorted by the time they got to a load.

Is that enough?

Long-distance high-voltage transmission lines are sometimes DC.

John

It's not a bad question for a basics group. Why so crabby today?

John

And I thought T. Edison was the last person to have promoted DC transmission.

Live and learn...

--
John English
Reply to

Because sine is defined exactly in time and does NOT introduce harmonics which can have unpredictable influences on different products. BTW, what IS 'square wave AC?' This kind of 'math' keeps the "penny counters" happy and the industry prosperous.

HTH

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Sine is easier to generate, higher harmonics cause power loss, and unwanted noise.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry