cant veiw schematics

Hello, I am new to news groups and to hobby electronics,I dont want to sound stupid but I've gotta ask "How do I veiw schematic diagrams?" All I see are some dashed lines.

Reply to
rodney

--- If you're talking about schematics done in ASCII, you need to view them using a non-proportonal font like Courier, then you need to learn how to interpret them. For starters, the dashed lines are wires, and the components can usually be identified by their values or reference designators.

For example, this is a schematic for a thermostat:

+12V>-----+-------+---------+--------+----+-----+ | | | | | | | | | [10k] |K | O------C [4k7] [30k] | | [CR1] [COIL]- - -| | | +---|--[1M]--+ | | O--> |------+--+-----G 2N7000 [RTH] | [10k]--+---+---+---+-----+---+-----------+-------+

If you view it in Courier you should have no problem reading it.

That is, if you can read schematics in the first place. ;)

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

If you're using Google Groups, it shows messages in a typeface (font) that scrambles the patterns the posters went to such trouble to create using a "nonproportional" font. In a nonproportional font, every letter has the same width. This creates a grid and makes it possible to draw straight lines and such to make a schematic diagram. I think if you are using Google and you look at the upper right corner of the page and click on "nonproportional," you may be able to convert the view such that it will make the images recognizable.

Reply to
kell

Good question as I too was wondering how in the world people are reading those schematics. Thanks for the question and the heads up. It looks fine now.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

I do a Save As... and save as a txt file so Notebook (or whatevery you use for text files on your computer) will open it. then they are readable.

Or, maybe there's a way to make Outlook Express display in Courier.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

In Outlook Express, go to : "View" "Text Size" click on "Fixed" and the schematic is the readable. HTH Bart

Reply to
Bart