How to view groups without google groups

Hi, this is not really an electronics question, but I was wondering what pe ople use to view and post to this forum... all I've ever used is sci.electr onics.design at the

website, which works fine, but is there other better ways to do this? I had heard you could use Mozilla Thu nderbird, but I couldn't figure out how... when I was looking into it it se emed like you had to pay to access the groups... is this a google group or something else? Like somethign called usenet?

just wonderin, thanks

Reply to
panfilero

use to view and post to this forum... all I've ever used is sci.electronics.design at the

website, which works fine, but is there other better ways to do this? I had heard you could use Mozilla Thunderbird, but I couldn't figure out how... when I was looking into it it seemed like you had to pay to access the groups... is this a google group or something else? Like somethign called usenet?

I use the low-tier service from Forte ($3/mo) and barely any of that, since I'm only a text-grouper.

They're a reseller of EasyNews, nowadays.

seems to offer a free service (small sign-up fee) that should be more than enough for text groups. Others over at
and
For heavy binary use Giganews, EasyNews, TeraNews, etc. have multi-gig plans.

Essentially, you tell your Usenet client the name of the server (e.g., news.example.net) then get a list of groups that server carries. The client should have a button or menu choice to do that. Then select what newsgroups you want to "subscribe" to, and tell the client to check with the server for any new posts to those groups.

Reply to
Rich Webb

On a sunny day (Mon, 8 Apr 2013 11:54:30 -0700 (PDT)) it happened panfilero wrote in :

If you run Linux use the newsreader I wrote:

After more than 14 years it still outperforms anything else. Not only that, I have a database that goes back that far with lots of interesting postings that it creates on the fly,

The closest thing in MS windows was Free Agent (I wrote it because there was no Free Agent for Linux), not sure that is still available or free. Newsflex easily covers 20 or more groups with just a mouse click, multiple servers, etc etc.

Using google works, but why torture yourself.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

use to view and post to this forum... all I've ever used is sci.electronics.design at the

website, which works fine, but is there other better ways to do this? I had heard you could use Mozilla Thunderbird, but I couldn't figure out how... when I was looking into it it seemed like you had to pay to access the groups... is this a google group or something else? Like somethign called usenet?

What a weird question. No sane person would put up with GG anymore.

Agent 7 and individual.net

BTW, this information is in the headers.

Reply to
krw

just wonderin, thanks

I use news.eternal-september.org...

Reply to
TTman

panfilero was thinking very hard :

MesNews works OK and is free. I prefer this one.

Mozilla Thunderbird works well too but I like the sort of MesNews better. Windows Live Mail has newsgroups. Opera has newsgroups.

BTW I use all of these just for the fun of it and since I like to complain about the shortcomings of each one.

Reply to
Olde Guye

panfilero

what pe=

sci.electr=

but is=

Thu=

it se=

or =

interesting

was no

Maybe. Pan is free for both *nix and MSWin. Works very well. Kind of like Agent but faster.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk