can I interchange laptop power supplies ?

I have 2 laptops, each requiring 19 volts DC, centre pin on connecting plug is + in both cases. One supply is rated at 3.42 A, the other is 4.22 A. Is there any foreseeable damage that might occur if I interchange them....is it true that the laptop will simply claim the current it requires from the supply, so additional Amps will not be a problem (or vice versa in the case of underpowering) ? The reason I'm doing this is that one laptop is silent with regard to radiated RF noise and hash, whereas the other is plagued by it, when I connect an external soundcard. Thank you for advice, Ray

Reply to
Ray Thomas
Brendan Gillatt

As posted, the larger current available will not be an issue, however going the other direction; using a supply with lower than required current, will present problems both in the ability to properly charge the laptop's battery and also may not allow the computer to function [properly]. Best recommended is to use the supply that was originally designed for the laptop. "Brendan Gillatt" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Reply to
AJ