Comparator Substitution

I have been told that if you leave feedback off of a op amp that it will act similar to a comparator. Is this actually true?? THANKS.

Reply to
Ron M.

Pretty much, yes. But there are the details, of course.

First off, most comparators like the LM339 have open collector-type outputs, so they require a pullup resistor at the output. Op amps dont. In fact, some op amps like the LM324 require a *pulldown* resistor in order for the output to reach the full range.

Second, since a comparator's output voltage will be Vcc (the pullup, remember) when high and about 0.1V to 0.4V when low (a saturated output transistor), the output can be read by all modern logic families. The typical op amp output has an analog amplifier output that will typically only go within a volt or two of the power supply rail. So an op amp being used as a comparator with a 5V supply might have a low output of 1.2V or so, and a high output of 3.5V or so. With a pulldown, the LM324 can go almost down to 0V, but still has the high end limitation. Maybe not so good.

Also, since most op amps have internal frequency compensation built in, their slew rate (changing states from a logic "0" to a logic "1") will be really slow in comparison with a comparator.

Many times, an op amp can be used in place of a comparator where switching speed and stringent logic level outputs are not required. In fact, an op amp can have some advantages. It is much less likely to break into oscillations when the voltage levels of the two inputs are very close to each other. Also, if you only need one comparator and have one or two spare op amps on a quad package like an LM324, it's very tempting to try.

The best thing to do is look at a couple of data sheets, and see some of the differences in specs, Ron.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Basically, yes.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

EXCELLENT POST!! Just the information that I needed. Luckily the application that I have in mind is not frequency sensitive. THANKS MUCH.

Reply to
Ron M.

One more thing to remember is that not all op amps are meant to be saturated (railed high or low). Some of them will allow only one amp in a multi package to be saturated. Just look at the data sheet and the ones that can't remain in saturation will usually tell you. Unfortunately the ones that are able to be used as comparators don't explicitly tell you. Also, there are many op amp outputs that go to ground as well as the VCC rail.

Reply to
Traver

I'm using a 324. Just downloaded the datasheet and will check it out. Next time I won't wait until the very last minute to design and build and will actually get a real LM339 to use. It was stupid to wait so long prior to doing the project.THANKS.

Reply to
Ron M.