Help: Failing Power Supplies

I have a Westell 327W Modem from Verizon that I use for connecting to the internet. The power supply that came with the modem failed. And the same model power supply I replaced it with failed also. Now an off brand that I bought used failed after only several days. So I was wondering it my problem could be elsewhere.

Is it plausible that the outlet strip (or outlet itself) could be overloading the power supplies that supply my modem?

The supplies seem to run hot, and I had three cheap light bulbs go out just over the last month when the lamp was plugged into the same outlet strip.

Any ideas on what changes to make would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Isalnd, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Is this old wiring? Old house?

Do you have a volt meter for which you can test your outlet? Do you notice brighter than normal lights in your location and maybe do they flicker at times?

You may want to test to make sure the neutral in the plug is connected to the proper slot.. Putting a volt meter between the Large Slot and round ground pin should yield a very low to no voltage reading. And testing between the ground pin and the small Slot should give you around 120v AC.. if this isn't no where close to what I have given you, i'd suggest to get that outlet and maybe your electrical system checked out.

220 volts can exist if the electrical system is not correct how ever, having a universal supply which covers 100-240 50/60hz shouldn't get effected by this.

Have you considered a problem with the modem? You could have a bad cap in it that is exerting current due to leakage or a leaky protection diode.

Reply to
Jamie

cap

It is an old house and all of the outlets do not have the ground prong.

I have several items plugged into that outlet strip, including my pc, monitor, and 220V printer that uses a step-up transformer, but have so far only had issues with the lamp bulbs and modem power supply.

The lamp is a new one I just re-wired, unlike the old one which blew it's last bulb yesterday, it is using one of those high efficiency energy saving bulbs that look like a coil, but I've not noticed anything unusual, yet. With the old lamp, the bulbs only flickered when they were about to die.

I have several Fluke DMMs but will have to read up on how to use them to test an outlet.

(Perhaps using a different outlet will help until I can figure this out).

Any ideas on the best place to pick up power supplies?

Thanks a lot.

Darren harris Staten Isalnd, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Power surges can take out sensitive devices, so can power brownouts (because the power supply has a constant load, if the input goes low voltage, it draws more current, even if that blows an internal fuse). Surge absorbers are easily available, plug one into the outlet strip (or use a strip with such built in). If it's brownout difficulties, more expensive treatments (power conditioners) are available, but it means your house wiring needs checking, and maybe repair.

Lamp burnout would indicate surges, OR maybe a 'floating neutral'. If you don't know how to use a voltmeter, hire an electrician.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Feb 6, 10:14=A0am, Searcher7 wrote: > I have a Westell 327W Modem from Verizon that I use for connecting to > the internet. The power supply that came with the modem failed. And > the same model power supply I replaced it with failed also. Now an off > brand that I bought used failed after only several days. So I was > wondering it my problem could be elsewhere. >

You might have a problem with the neutral. Measure the AC volts at the outlet wihere the modem fails. I suspect its considerably higher than

120 and IF it's a neutral problem (connections loose) you probably have low voltage on the other leg. Get an electrician.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46