Batteries As Power Supplies

Hi,

I have bought and built electronic devices that use a battery as a power supply. I don't mean portable devices but stationary. How good are batteries as power supplies?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Abby Brown

Are you Abby or Gary?

As far as your question, as usual, it depends. What is it you're trying to accommplish?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Very good power line isolation.prevent ground loops.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It makes the power supply the part that sets maintenance or replacement intervals. The weakest link in reliability. This can be an issue.

RL

Reply to
legg

Hi Ken, VTVM =3D Vacuum tube volt meter? (I've never used one... I've never used a weston cell for that matter....) So a battery gives you a few percent test calibration?

The voltage reference IC's are pretty darn good. (REF02 or REF102... etc.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I rescued the Weston cell out of an old Fluke model 801 voltmeter. I put it in its own little box and I've checked a few of my meters against it from time to time.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy and tasty with barbecue sauce.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.